1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

17-35/2.8 does another Bangkok protest! (Pictures restored and edited.)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by craig.martell, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Well lucky me. The day after I get my 17-35/2.8, there was another anti-government protest in Bangkok. Unlike the one last week, where the people seemed fired up during their march, this one seemed like a large camping trip. Of course, this makes sense since their goal is to stay put in front of the Parliament building until they get what they want. Unfortunately, what they say they want keeps changing, but it comes down to driving out the current, legally-elected government. Thai politics is fascinating this way. And don't get me started about the military owning the TV and radio stations!

I tried to pick photos that show off all focal lengths of this lens. I have to say, though, that learning to shoot at 17mm on an FX camera takes some doing for me. It is VERY wide to my eye, but I like it.

ISO200, 17mm, 1/320s, f/9
    2803744558_f6768c4d69_b.

2803749890_b4ef87506e_b.

2803765166_f13b77e993_b.

ISO200, 32mm, 1/250s, f/8
    2803767116_0f4b9d63bb_b.

And now for some shots of the people:

ISO200, 17mm, 1/250s, f/7.1
    2802907387_4cbcc677f0_b.

ISO200, 35mm, 1/200s, f/7.1
    2803755612_40894f5ec2_b.

ISO200, 35mm, 1/80s, f/4.5
    2803737052_8c85f6103e_b.

ISO200, 20mm, 1/200s, f/7.1
    2802905511_f8cbef7d7b_b.

And you can't run a protest without toilets :474:. These folks thought of everything!!!

2802913783_2fc50f45f8_b.

Finally, as I was walking around, I got hungry and there was no shortage of food. As always in Bangkok, some of the best eats are on the street.:434::443:.

ISO200, 20mm, 1/160s, f/6.3
    2803762882_6d05a31cff_b.

Thanks for making it this far :smile:.

Craig

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  2. hello,great shots but the colors look weird? are you using vivid or standard picture control there? any filters, exposure compensation? is active d-lighting on or off?
    Are you shooting NEF and converting with another program than capture NX??

3. Using standard picture control. No exposure compensation. No active d-lighting.

One issue is that I batched processed with NX2, and I might not be good enough at that yet. I simply checked "auto-levels" and "USM +10". I think the USM is ok, but auto-levels might have changed the colors. I will go back and hand process a few tonight and see how they come out.

What do you think is weird about the colors?

Thanks for the help,

Craig

4. personally, I hate standard picture control, the contrast is just not right, I tend to switch between natural +1 saturation and landscape for in your face colors, the active-d lighting feature helps, try setting it to auto and forgetting it, you can always undo in capture.
    I used to spend a lot of time tweaking pictures in capture nx with my older nikon cameras "D40/60/300", not any more with the D700, try shooting NEF+ jpeg, so far %90 of the time the pictures are good to go out of the camera as jpegs and I am rarely editing in capture.... some people get the kick out of editing process....I used to but , not any more, the D700 is just so amazingly fine.

Also why not turn the auto-iso feature on, I noticed you are shooting at 200 iso all the time, you can limit it to 3200 if you want and still get fine results...

what metering are you using? matrix? try setting the exposure manually by pointing the camera to the sky first/center weighted metering, the first 2 photos look a bit dark.

5. Looks like a good place to be an umbrella salesman :biggrin:

Neat shots, but I too find they don't quite look right. Probably the auto levels.
    Standard pic control can get a bit aggressive too IMO. Depends on the shot. I go back and forth between that and
    the D2x setting.
    They also all look about 1/3 to 1/2 stop on the dark side - again could be the auto levels making them too contrasty.

I agree with you about getting used to wide. My 14-24 has been a learning experience with the D3.
    Real easy to get things tilted and out of whack.

Keep 'em coming!

Don

6. Jeff Jarvis

Jeff Jarvis

Sep 10, 2007
    Thailand
    I'd steer clear of those protests now Craig.
    They are armed and dangerous, looking for a bigtime clash with Thaksin supporters, Police or Army.
    It's not going to be pretty when it is over.
    All those flags and signs are mounted to bamboos spears.
    They have guns, knives, golf clubs, baseball bats.
    The situation in Bangkok is explosive.

2779161639_25cbb70eff_b.
    Notice the sharpened flag pole.

7. I reprocessed two of them by turning up the shadow protection and turning down the saturation by -15 in NX2. I think these look a lot better. Comments?

Craig

2801738440_bb76f6a7bf_b.

2800896565_3609fdc1b2_b.

8. Jeff,

I agree there is a potentially violent sub-group among the protestors, but they were mostly out near the airport. I do take your warning to heart, though.

However, the VAST majority of those at the Parliament were happy, fun, relaxed people of all ages and walks of life. Go down and you'll see. They are just doing their best to engage in the political process. Although, again, I am not so sure these folks were clear on exactly what they were protesting.

Craig

9. Much better Graig, you can change picture control in capture, try setting it to natural, for some weird reason I can feel the standard picture control there!

10. Here's "cool boy" again using neutral picture control with only a bit of shadow protection.

What do you think?

2800971635_98e14c67a6_b.

I think you guys are right. The D700 should be set to neutral. Standard is just too vivid.

Craig

11. Jeff Jarvis

Jeff Jarvis

Sep 10, 2007
    Thailand
    I use neutral for portraits, standard for landscapes etc..

12. Thanks Jeff. I will give that a try.

BTW, maybe you are right about the situation in Thailand. The Bangkok Post today claims that the police are going to break up the demonstration. Against, your advice, I think I will have to go down and try to get some shots:eek: .

Craig

13. very nice, the boy looks alive now:)  you may want to give active d-lighting a chance, it will save you the shadows adjustments and less time spent with capture nx

14. I tried active d-lighting, but it made the colors look even weirder. I have my camera set to auto, but what do you suggest?

I will re-process the photos and re-post in a new thread tonight.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. The D700 is definitely a new camera for me!

Craig

15. Jeff Jarvis

Jeff Jarvis

Sep 10, 2007
    Thailand
    That mid day Bangkok sun makes it tough.
    Throw a bit of fill flash in there.

16. Sorry all. I deleted a bunch of flickr photos by mistake. I will make the above suggested changes and repost them in a new thread. Thanks for all the help.

Craig

17. Actually, it was only about 10am, but the sun was already very bright. Is the flash on the D700 sufficient for fill flash?

Craig

18. Jeff Jarvis

Jeff Jarvis

Sep 10, 2007
    Thailand
    The pop up flash might work.
    I suspect that lens hood may block some of it?

19. I think a lot of my exposure issues were due to the fact that I had Active D-Lighting set to Auto in the camera, but I didn't turn it on in NX2. (I should in NEF). Anyway, Active D-Lighting essentially meters for the highlights with the idea that you can recover the shadows later.

I posted three examples in this thread in the Capture NX forum. Would love the experts comments.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=185509

Craig

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Ok! why did you turn if off in caputre nx , set it back to auto there?!! it usually works very fine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.