1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

17-35 2.8 vs. 14-24 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by cvansickler, Jul 5, 2008.

1. cvansickler

cvansickler

May 17, 2008
    Texas
    Is the new 14-24 worth selling the 17-35 and buying.

2. It really depends on your photographic style. When I bought my D3, and needed something to replace my DX 12-24. I ended up going for the 17-35mm for the following reasons:

- it is smaller and lighter than the 14-24
    - it takes front filters
    - it doesn't have a protruding front element

I also have the 16mm fisheye for when I want to get really wide.

However, the 14-24 is definitely a stellar lens. I am still considering buying it further down the line - the definition, contrast, and sharpness the lens can deliver is something not matched by any of Nikon's other pro zooms, at least based upon the samples i have seen on NikonCafe. However for me the deal breaker was the inability to attach filters. I will probably end up with both one day though......

3. drjiveturkey

drjiveturkey Guest

If you're into landscapes and like to use NDs or Polarizers, keep the 17-35 and get a 14mm prime. You cant put filters on the 14-24 unless you make a filter hold that attaches to the front. And when you do that it vingets a lot till about...17mm anyways.

If you're not a filter user, than 14-24 would be a nice replacement.

4. I know that eventually I'll have a 14-24.
    Resistance is futile. But still......

I'll not get rid of my 17-35 when I get a 12-24.
    The 17-35 is my #1 favorite lens.
    The 20-30mm range is my home base.

The 14mm is way wider and the 35mm is way longer.
    I believe this is not an either/or choice, as the ranges are so very different.

here.....17mm image on top of the 14mm to illustrate.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Throw the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 into the mix for consideration. If you're doing landscapes or WA cityscapes, it's the widest zoom available for FF shooting. I'm trying to find somebody I know who has it so that I can test it out for myself.

John P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.