1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

17-55/2.8 = no need for a circular polarized filter...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Candidcameraman, Jul 26, 2007.

1. I was thinking I would need to get a circular polarized filter for the 17-55 however this picture made me think, well maybe I don't need one after all, look at that beautiful blue sky :smile:

I know I'll eventually get one for the 85/1.4 as far as the 17-55 is concerned I don't think it will be neccessary.

17-55c.

2. I agree - the contrast on the 17-55/2.8 is awesome! Personally I've never been a fan of 'polarized' skies but I'm probably in the minority there.

3. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

A blue sky is an easy thing to do in post-processing. The circular polarizer's main task is to reduce glare.

4. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If you were taking a picture through a glass window, or on the water, you would need a CP, and no amount of PP will replace it for that purpose. Nice shot BTW.

5. Jonathan P.

Jonathan P.

Jul 10, 2007
    Appalachia
    I love my 17-55mm f/2.8, but I still consider a CP to be mandatory most of the time.

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    It all depends on the scene and conditions of course. Replace the building with a tree line and a ton of incidentiary (sp?) light shooting off of the leaves in every which direction and you might have had drastically different results.

18-55 without CP:
    [​IMG]

18-55 with CP:
    [​IMG]

7. I couldn't live without my polarizer. It's the only accessory that's always with me.

8. chrisnck

chrisnck

Jul 19, 2007
    mass
    I wouldn't shoot with out one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.