17-55 DX Images

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Creative Edge, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Recently there seems to be an interest in this lens... I thought I'd post
    some images ...
    This has been by far, my favorite walk around lens.
    These images are from my travels and the the last one (my favorite) was
    taken 2 days ago :biggrin::biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my very favorite

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  2. Congratulations, Michael! :smile:
    Hope all are well.

3. Michael, this is a stunning set of photographs. Of course, my favorite is the last one, congratulations!! You really make the 17-55 shine!!

4. You have a very talented eye Michael! Congratulations on the new little one, you'll have LOTS of 17-55 opportunities there! :biggrin:

5. I'm not surprised, the 17-55 is an outstanding lens.

These images are excellent too, very nice work.

I'm curious as to what your settings were on the "Celebration" image, i.e. iso and exposure.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Michael :

So good to see your work again !

I was thinking about you when looking at the Tax Shelters and Write Offs photo sitting in my study (it's immediately next to a photo Alice brought me of a street bum with a cardboard sign reading "Need to get new Britney Spears CD, anything will help, God Bless", which gives the full spectrum of the concept and a rather neat juxtaposition of your work...).

I really like the stark colour of the Muhammad Ali mosque. I've shot mosques whenever I've been in the Mideast (and other places), but have never been graced by the sky that you captured. The woman along the wall provides an excellent sense of the scale. [For those people unfamiliar with this mosque, it's not named after the boxer, but a pasha of the 19th century, and is also called the Alabaster Mosque]

And that little girl weaving captures the lovely smile of so many kids over in that part of the world. Despite all of the press images we get of people there, mostly scowling and dour, one can find moments of great joy.

It seems that you've been busy with shooting, and judging from the last photo, other things. Congratulations on the newest addition to your portfolio... errrrr... family !

John P.

7. Michael,
    Beautiful work. Thanks for illustrating what this lens can do in the right hands.

8. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Outstanding images......they speak for themselves.

9. Great images. They should be in National Geographic. And congratulations on the little one.

10. All wonderful images, Michael, but the last is indeed special. Congratulations to you and your wife!

11. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Michael,

Lovely work. Your captures have wonderful personality. I love the 17-55, too. It makes me look good even though I'm not. But I get the feeling that you could shoot through a Coke bottle and produce stunning images!

And congratulations on your newest addition. Children are wonderful... grandchildren are better. Hope you get to find out for yourself.

God bless.
    Doug

12. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Beautiful especially the newborn child

13. I am speechless......

I know the 17-55DX is great, but you have taken it to another level my friend.

Great work,
    GenoP

14. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Great shots! This lens is near the top of my lust list, hehe. :smile:

15. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Michael,

And BTW, congratulations on your magnificent image published as part of the Alien Bees advertisement in the latest photo mags. Stunning work. I assume you really do use Alien Bees (LOL).

Well done.
    God bless.

Doug

16. Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks..

PLPhoto, the settings on the Celebration image, if I remember correctly,
    I shoot raw...aperture was set at f4, ISO 100, Adobe colorspace and
    custom curve set in the camera... shutter speed...do not remember..

PJohnP,,, wow...I had forgotten that I sent you the Tax Shelters image... been a while...and like you.. I love to learn about different cultures,,, it's funny, we are all so different...yet so much alike..

Geno...thanks..

Revdhd, thank you.... and yes the image was taken with the Alien Bees ringflash and lights... On location I use either the White Lightnings or the Bees.. in my studio I have both, plus 2 Vagabond powerpacks for location shoots.... I started using White Lightnings about 20 years ago when they first came out, and until this day I have my original units..

again.... to everyone...thanks for the kind remarks...

17. rubendparra

rubendparra Guest

WOW !
    Michael Congratulations! for
    1. Your new little one!
    2. The Quality of the images doesn't say something new about the 17-55 i'm sure you can shoot them with any glass and still look great !
    3. Tonight w shutterbug the lastest edition of my photog magazines there's a picture you published here (taken with another lens ;) ) definitely you know how to use those lights !

Congrats again !!!

Ruben

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  18. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Outstanding!!! These are one of the best pics I have seen for a while. Nikon should pay you, since a lot of people would probably buy the lens when seeing these pictures ;-)

I also have the 17-55DX I argued with my self for a long time before getting the lens, but it has become instantly my most used lens

You wrote that you are using a curve. Would you mind sharing it? My eMail adress can be found in my profile.

19. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Lovely images.

Congratulations to the family.

Regards.