17 inch MacBook Pro - which screen

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Allan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Has anyone opted for the high resolution screen on the Mac Book Pro? It is a $100 option?

Also, I should get the regular, not glossy screen for photo editing, right?

2. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
  3. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I have a 17 inch MacBook Pro (typing on it now), it was a gift. This is the first I have heard about a HR screen, how would I know if I have it?

4. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

I just got the MBP with Hi Res screen. very nice, same 1920x1200 resolution as my 24" monitor at my desk.... If you want to do anything at all with photos, get the matte screen. The glossy is only good for movies.

5. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Bob,
    That is what I thought. I sort of knew most photographers like the matte and I thought I would prefer the hi res screen, but I have never seen one.

Now to just wait and see if there are new Mac Book Pros coming soon. I really don't need one till after the first of the year.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
  6. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

The only issue I have with it (And it's a personal thing) is that it's too big. I'm used to having smallish laptops and this one definitely is not that! I can't imagine being able to use this on a plane.

7. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Bob, your comment is on 17 vs 15 right? I do plan to get the 17 inch as I will not be using it while traveling - just at destinations. You aren't commenting on hi-res 17 vs regular 17 (just wanting to make sure)?

8. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi all

I still don't know which screen I have but thought I'd just comment on the size. It is a big of a mammoth laptop but I have travelled with it (it's pretty heavy) and also used it on a plane - so far on America, Jet Blue and Southwest. I think it would be a but tight in a middle seat but it's OK in the aisle.

I picked up a great carry on bag in a TK Maxx or Marshalls - from the Sharper Image for maybe $60. I has two areas that unzip separately. In the back area I can take my camera and 2-3 lenses plus a couple of SB800s. In the front area there is a laptop compartment for up to 17 inches and it JUST fits.

My only issue on a plane has been during take off and landing. It's kind of big to put on the floor, won't fit in the seat pocket, so I'm ended up putting it at the back of my seat and sitting very upright, or else I just shut down sooner and put back in bag.

Just thought I'd mention in case.

9. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

leahp26: if you can change the resolution on your screen to 1920x1200 you have the hi-res screen. The standard resolution screen is 1680x1050.

10. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I opted for the 1680x1050 instead of the hi-res screen. On a 17" form factor, I felt the enormously high pixel density of the hi-res screen would simply be too different from what others will use to view my work. Things will appear completely different on the 17" hi-res screen than say on a 19" 1280x1024 PC monitor. Also with hi-res on the 17" form factor, things are just too small. I didn't see any benefit since I am processing images and not watching hi-def movies. I have a 40" Sony LCD in my family room for watching movies. When will I really use the MacBook Pro to do that?

That is the rationale I went through when choosing.

11. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    O.K. Walter, I don't care about movies or games or anything like that on a laptop. I will be taking vacation trips now that I am retired and want to do email, browse the web, and process photos with NX and PS. My work will be in a motel or condo room, not on a plane (I always try to sleep while on a plane.)

17 inch seems a no brainer for me. But you think the non hi-res will be better for processing? The hundred dollar or so difference in price doesn't matter.

12. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Allan - I'm a definite advocate of the 17" screen, and the $100 for high resolution was not a concern to me either. I went to the Apple store and looked at them side-by-side and just felt the hi-res wasn't necessary. It makes the pixel density so much higher than what most other people use. Tasks like sharpening for web or print on a screen with such high pixel density just does not provide the visual feedback you need when other people will not be using a screen anywhere close to that pixel density.

Put three or four raw files on a USB thumb drive and take it to your nearest Apple store. Most of their 17" MacBook Pros have Adobe CS3 Design Premium on them. Take at least one low density image (not a lot of detail like an airplace against the sky), one high density image (lots of detail like fall colors with lots of leaves) and one "normal" image (like a nice flower closeup).

Plug your thumb drive into a normal res and a high res 17" MacBook Pro at the Apple store, bring up your raw files in Adobe Photoshop, and start making adjustments. That will help you determine how the hi-res screen compares to the normal screen. That is what I did to confirm I didn't need the hi-resolution screen. It also confirmed I didn't want the glossy screen.

13. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Thanks for that info. I knew I did not want the glossy screen.
    We have an Apple dealer in town that sells and repairs Macs. He is not an Apple Store, however, and doesn't carry the high res. Before I buy I will have to make the trip to an Apple Store to do as you suggest.

14. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

To each his own I guess. I love the extra real estate you get with hi res and 1920x1200 is what my 24" desktop monitor runs at (like many many photographers), I don't see a downside when it comes to photos. The extra $100 will mean better resale value as well if you get to that point. Your choice, see what works best for you. Even Best Buy sells macs now.

15. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Well, I haven't seen a hi res yet. The local BB carries Macs and probably could special order one, but I would buy from the local Apple dealer. However, I will make a trip to the official Apple store after calling to see if they have a hi res in stock.

16. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Thanks for the tip on how to figure it out, here's what the info shows:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Depth: 32-bit Color

So I guess I don't have hi-res. But I don't think I miss it...... :)

17. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

ive always wanted a real pc IBM now LENEVO.Ive been intrested in giving APPLE a go since my wifes world is run between her I POD and IPHONE.The rest on her laptop.third ive herd SONY honors their better warrentee.whats to belive!

18. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Well, I have owned Macs since 1987 and only had a windows laptop because where I worked I was not allowed to hook a Mac to their network. Now that I am retired no need for windows.

I say it that way because I understand Macs. I can either fix problems or easily understand what a tech or mac user tells me. With Windows, I am lost. People give me solutions but I have no understanding.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008