1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

1752 Joseph Webb House

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by A Risen Fury, Sep 30, 2008.

1. It's great being a history major in such an old state. It could be proposed that if it wasn't for this house we still might be under British rule :biggrin:. C&C is welcomed.

WebbHousePlaque.

WebbHouse1.

2. neat shot, my sister got married in the barn behind the house (I remember no rice, had to use birdseed, this was in '71). I grew up in that town. My other sister lived over near the Green on Broad Street next to the Buttolph Williams House.

I might straighten it just a bit, dropping the left side. Is the frame as is on the left?

Many (many) years ago, Sears painted it red as part of their "Weatherbeater" line of paints, and it was featured in a TV ad. Have you gone over to the Green, and down to the Cove?

3. I'm not sure what you mean by the frame on the left. Thanks for the straightening tip though, I never even thought about that.

That's pretty neat that you're from Wethersfield. I'm from Bloomfield but my History of Technology class met over in Wethersfield tonight to compare the Deane house and the Dunham house across the street. My professor was telling me about the Cove for picture ideas, I wanted to head down there but by the time we were done with the houses it was going on 7 and I was losing light fast. The picture of the Webb house I posted was actually taken at ISO-800 just so I could hand hold it still.

4. Yeah, the title caught my eye!

ah, sorry. I was hoping to get more of the Webb sign in the frame, and thought you could 'move' the frame over to the left, and drop the left side a bit...on a crop. But if that's the frame edge, no worries. Pity they have that window AC hanging out of the window.

Bloomfield's pretty historic too, eh? You should definitely truck back down, the Cove has some nice houses and the old warehouse from Wethersfield's red onion commerce days.

The Green has some beautiful old houses from the classic New England town green. Will look beautiful in a few weeks w/ the autumn leaves.

And the church across the street from the Webb house was modeled after the Old North Church in Boston, founded in 1635. Very colonial decor inside.

5. Ahh I didn't know you were refering to the sign in the first shot. I didn't spend much time on that one it was mostly just to let people know a little about the house. I also noticed the AC when I got home and put it on the computer. It was too dark when I was there and the sun was setting behind the houses so I didn't catch it. Bloomfield is pretty old as well, it was founded in the 1700s. We have a few houses from that time period as well, including an old school house.

I really want to go back there. If the weather is nice I may try and get down there this Sunday when I have time during the day to go around. Where is the Green in relation to main street?

6. If you're standing in front of the Webb House, look at the church and go to the right. Bear right at the next intersection and you'll be at the Bottoph Williams House, and continue another 1/4 mile and you'll be at the Green. Off the green, on a wraparound street called Robbinswood, there's a beautiful old victorian that had been gutted by fire but was faithfully restored, real nice old house.

If you bear left at the church, that road will lead you right down to the Cove and the Warehouse.

And, on the way to the Cove, just after going past the 2nd church on the right (Episcopalian), the road will fork to the left, follow this past the Dept of Motor Vehicles, and keep hugging the Cove on your right, just before the Yacht Club, there's the Solomon Welles house, nice old house on the Cove, opposite the Warehouse. Beautiful sweeping lawn down to the water.

7. Awesome! Thanks for the tips.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.