1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

18-105mm!! Why????

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Counter, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
  2. lf911sc

lf911sc

Jun 15, 2008
    Monmouth, NJ
    The why is that it's the kit lens for the D90.

I'll be disappointed if it's the only lens they come out with.

Not that it's the first one they've shown.

3. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Sorry, I've just noticed a few other threads on the same subject but I agree, if they announced at least one new pro prime at the same time then I wouldn't be as upset but they seem to be obsessed with 'affordable' lenses these days, all within very similar focal lengths.
    It's amazing that just about every publicity shot I've seen of the D700 has the f1.4 50mm attached. It's 13 years old now!

4. Paulesko

Paulesko

Jul 23, 2008
    Spain
    I am disapointed. We already have a wonderful 16-85 and also 18-200 18-135 and 18-70. There´s no need for more!!

We need 70-200 f4 and 24-105 f4 and 70-200 f2.8 (working properly on FF bodies) and ... I think that´s all :D 

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Remember that this lens is only half the price of the 16-85VR and a good alternative. It does have a cheap plastic mount though.

I can't wait for the upcoming D60x kit lens, it'll probably be a 16-55 VRII.

6. We need more FX zooms as Pablo suggested! Come on Nikon, the current consumer line is good enough!

7. Well, this glass is supposed to go with a consumer body, the D90. I think this is to just better Nikon's bottom line by increasing sales rather than meeting the needs of pros and serious amateurs. We will have to wait for Photokina perhaps.

8. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    18-105

For years the inexpensive 28-105 was a great walk-around lens; so maybe Nikon is trying to update that range for DX using modern optics, AFS and VR

9. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Basically it is a cheap lens with a decent range and VR which means it should sell well in a kit with the D90. If it increases sales, that is a good thing for us all.

10. Not only is it cheap, but it performs as well/better than almost any other of the DX zooms. I am confident it will come to be considered one of the great values of the Nikon line, a place now held by the 18-135 which I am sure will be dropped shortly.

11. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Didn't people used to say the same about the 18-200? When I bought mine last Summer they were like gold dust. When I came to sell it a couple of months later it wasn't so difficult.

12. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Don't worry! Thom Hogan suggests either on his blog or in a post on DPR that new primes are coming at Photokina.

13. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    I'm not sure why people are so disappointed with this lens announcement. The lens is targetted at a specific audience, probably people who do not own one of the existing 18-xxx zooms, and is not intended for those waiting for new FX optics.

What is there to be disappointed about? There'll be more lenses; be patient...

14. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Seems logical to me

Think Nikon is trying to offer more VR lens choices that are inexpensive enough that they can be included as kit lenses, to that end the 18-105 VR should be a welcome addition to their lineup. One of the reasons I chose to buy a Nikon DSLR is that their 18-55 lens got nice reviews whereas the Canon equivalent was not liked as well in the pulps. I imagine if this new lens lives up to the IQ set by previous KIT offerings by Nikon it will also attract newbies to the brand.

15. It isn't too hard to see why Nikon needed the 18-105VR. They needed a kit lens to match up with the D90, and one that has VR. To be competitive in the consumer market now requires a stabilized lens (through in-lens or in-body stabilization). Shoppers at Best Buy and Circuit City have now added this to their checklist (whether they need it or not).

The 18-105VR is cheap enough (lots of plastics) to be kit lens for the D90, without making that kit too expensive. The other VR lenses wouldn't have worked out:

18-55VR: Too limited a range
    16-85VR: Too expensive to bundle into a D90 kit
    18-200VR: Too expensive to bundle into a D90 kit

16. I think you're correct, the 18-105 VR fills a price point and with VR it satisfies the newest technology requirements. Fortunately Nikon knows how to produce excellent glass, I'm sure the lens will provide excellent images just as the other slower Nikon glass does. I agree the 18-135 non-VR will be discontinued or updated to VR.

17. I guess this lens does make more sense than the 18-55 VR. and since the 18-135 isn't VR, people shy away from it.

All they need is the 18-105 VR and for those wishing to spend more the 18-200 VR. Ditch the rest and make room in the factory to make some GOOD zooms!

24-105 FX f4 that is tack sharp! 70-200 FX f4. Updated 80-400 with AFS. Come on Nikon!

18. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Nope... the 18-135VRII is yet to come, with Nikon's upcoming camera yet to be released.

19. Bearded

Bearded

Oct 2, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I think $399 for the 18-105 is a pretty good deal. And I have a 70-300VR, so the 18-200 seems a waste (and overpriced).

If I wasn't planning to switch to FX, I think this would make a great walk around lens.

Joe

20. My thoughts precisely.

Bingo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.