1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

18-105vr???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by lanthier, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Apparently on Wednesday Nikon will introduce the 18-105VR. Anyone find this odd on the heels of the well-reviewed and received 16-85VR that is also newish?

2. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    18-105VR is "rumored" to be marketed more towards the consumer rather than the prosumer like the 16-85VR is. The 16-85VR is relatively expensive compared to similar glass. The 18-105VR is "rumored" to be more affordable.

3. Ah, thanks David, that makes some sense... I guess! If the new lens performs like the 16-85, people will have a hard time justifying the price increase for the 16-85. It was my DX/party lens...

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    It's VRI and has a plastic mount, but I bet the optics will be amazing as usual.

5. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    You left off the 18-55 VR, obviously.

I think they are trying to address one of the real deficiencies of the 18-135: lack of VR, which made the lens difficult to use hand-held above 85mm or so.

My guess is the 18-135 will be retured, and I would not be surprised to see a new 18-200 soon, as well.

And for whatever reason, it seems Nikon feels they must announce a new 18-xx(x) lens with each new body they introduce these days...

6. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I hate to say it, but these things do make sense. The 18-200mm VR was a killer lens for Nikon, convincing many to go Nikon rather than Canon. The 18-105mm VR is no doubt aimed at the financially challenged. The specs are good i.e. range + VR, and the price is low.

7. I think they are trying to address one of the real deficiencies of the 18-135

I'd argue that anyone needing VR in that range has deficiencies in their technique that 10 minutes a day practicing breathing, and stance would address quite happily.

There are far too many 18-xxx lenses, time to address the primes and some nice constant f/4 lenses.

8. Paul - Having now examined the MTF's of the new lens vs the 16-85VR and the 18-135, I agree with you completely (see my separate thread nearby). The new lens essentially exceeds both in MTF performance, is closer to the 18-135 in price, and obvioously represents better value than the 16-85, whose tele end is limiting in range and whose extra 2mm at the wide end probably substantially increased its cost.

I think the 18-135 will go, and probably the 16-85VR as well.

9. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I think in certain situation...when you have the lens zoomed out to 200mm with low light...the VR helps alot. I dont think with all the technique in the world you would get a non blurry shot.

10. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Low-ish light is low-ish light, and it doesn't take a great imagination to conjure up situations where VR is helpful @ 105mm. In fact, I have VR on my 105mm 2.8, and I think it rocks...

Not everyone has super-steady hands, and most people would find VR helpful in this range , especially on the long end, at least occasionally.

Hell, I would find VR helpful on my 50 f/1.8 from time to time, and it would sure come in handy on my 85 f/1.8.

Besides, I have 5 kids. Who has 10 minutes a day to practice breathing?

Paul

11. Who has 10 minutes a day to practice breathing?

How long did it take you to reply to this post? I reckon you can find the time :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.