18-200: Sigma vs. Tamron

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Tosh, May 16, 2005.

1. Hi all,

I just picked up a 28-70 to replace my 17-55 because I don't shoot much at the wide end.

I want to get one of the Sigma or Tamron 18-200 lenses to cover the occasional wide end shot and serve as an all-purpose travel lens. I've done web searches and checked the various photo forums, but I haven't come across too much material. Yes, I know they are both recent introductions.

What information there is seems to be somewhat conflicted. Have any of you purchased either of these zooms? If so, did you look into the other brand before purchasing yours? What caused you to buy your particular brand?

Glenn

2. Aha! Another 28-70/2.8 owner! Welcome to the club :).

Have you had a chance to try the Beast out yet?

3. Hi Frank,

The fine folks at Jack's Cameras sent it out today (Monday). They have 2 more 28-70's in 9/9+ condition at extremely reasonable prices in case any one else is looking. I'm also in the process of replacing my current D2H with a meter-replaced D2H that is also in transit. The guys in brown will be my best buddies this week -- today they delivered my long-awaited CS2. So no, I haven't strapped the beast to a camera body yet. But from what I've seen from your wedding images and those of some other posters, this is one lens that won't disappoint.

Glenn

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
  5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Glenn,

Looks like we don't know much about these lenses...

I'm interested in what you find out about them. I know Geno has the 18-200 Tamron... I have the Tamron too and like it as a walkaround lens.

Keep us posted,

Gaye

6. I'll be interested in your reaction, Glen. I must admit that I'm crazy about the 28-70/2.8. The focus is fast and extremely accurate, and every picture I've taken with it seems to have a special quality... other than the self portraits, of course.

7. I can't speak to the Sigma. But I purchased the Tamron as my everyday / walk-around lens. While it isn't as sharp as my primes I am quite pleased with it.

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
  9. Hi Gaye,

I have seen the Rockwell review. Like most everything else out there on the Tamron 18-200, it's generally positive. The only thing that I've found that makes the Tamron look bad is that Japanese review with the head-to-head shot comparison to the Sigma. Bad sample, poor focus, who knows why Tamron shots look so poor. I wish there were some other direct comparisons so that we could get a sense of whether that is a true reflection of the two lenses.

Now that I've gone from the 17-55 to the 28-70, the logical (though more costly) wide end option would be a Nikon or Sigma 12-24. That would give me the highest quality glass at the wide end, but leave me without that all-in-one compact travel lens. Maybe I should just keep things simple and take only my 45mm 2.8P on vacations. It would be like the old days when I lugged my Nikon F with a 35mm f/2.

I hope to exercise some restraint and wait until the verdict is in on the Sigma and Tamron 18-200 offerings. At that point I'll decide how to, or if I even should, cover my little used wide end.

I should have bought your D70/ kit lens at your giveaway price and used that as my travel and backup camera. That would have been the smart thing to do.

Keep me posted on your evaluation of your Tamron 18-200 and any new reviews you come across.

Glenn