1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

18-200 VR: Does it creep from the start?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by macroach, Apr 9, 2007.

1. macroach

macroach

Jul 19, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I just bought my third copy of the 18-200 VR from B&H. This is my first new copy as the other two were previously loved. I put it on the camera to test it and noticed that the focusing ring is a lot stiffer than the previous two, definitely creep-free at this point.

Does this loosen up and develop creep over time? Just wondering if this is a Nikon fix or if the creeper will mature and rear his ugly head in the next few weeks.

2. My lens, bought in 10/06 creeped, must be a fix. Maybe I should not tell this, but I
    dropped my shoulder bag in the Amsterdam airport, from that moment own, it creeped no more. It was a lucky fix.

3. macroach

macroach

Jul 19, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Definitely a lucky fix! The first thing I noticed was how much tighter this one felt .. hopefully it stays that way.

4. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey Jonathan,

Might stay tight, but mine was new as well and it was tight for about a month or two then it started creeping.

Good luck,
    Brian

5. Mine creeps. Annoying at times.

6. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Took about a week and mine did.

7. NewShooter

NewShooter Guest

My first one was tight at first, but then developed the creep. I have a new one still in the upopened B&H box. If it creeps, I'll just use the gaffer tape fix that I read about here on the forum.

My problem now is which body to get. I can't seem to make up my mind between the D40, D40x or the D80. Decisions, decisions.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

8. jaleel

jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    mine started creeping after a few weeks of regular use

9. Cschend

Cschend

Apr 1, 2007
    SLC, Utah
    Mine took about 5 months to start creeping.

10. gugs

gugs

Feb 24, 2006
    Belgium
    mine has not been creeping for one year of very intensive usage. It started creeping (a little bit) recently.... but only at an intermediate focal length (don't know by heart, but outside the "danger" zone , the lens still doesn't creep at all)

11. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    You must be one of the lucky ones with no lens creep.

12. I had one for about 2 months which didn't creep at all, but then it satrted getting dust behind the front element so I exchanged it at the shop where I bought it and guess what? The new one crept from day one!

13. BillRogers

BillRogers Guest

Mine has crept from the beginning. I think it creeps more in warm temperatures.

14. Backfill

Backfill

Jul 14, 2006
    Austin
    18-200 Creep

Folks,

I am concidering the purchase of one of these creeping lenses for travel. Is the creep a focal length change when using a tripod and pointing the lens either up or down? Could I shoot fireworks with a creepy creeper?

Thanks in advance everyone this thread is timely!

Jeff...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.