18-200 vr Washington DC?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by chrismead, Apr 8, 2007.

1. You know how it is, you ponder and contemplate the purchase of the next lens, you make the decision - then find that your plans fall away?

Decided that I was going to get a 18-200vr on an upcoming trip to Washington DC - thought that I'd get one delivered to the hotel. Seems that because I live in UK, that sort of transaction is far too risky. Then I find out that there are none to be had anyway.

Anyone any ideas? I could possibly find someone to take a parcel in, but as I'm going on a business trip that could look a bit tacky - and I'd still have the same billing not the same as the shipping address. Anyone know of a store in the DC area that has stock?

Thanks for looking (and hopefully help!).

2. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I had the same idea last December because I wanted it for a business trip to D.C. It's very easy to get wrapped up in the "I want it now" fever of a new lens.

This one seems to be out of stock very frequently. Some places will sell you an over-priced grey market copy, but that generally means dealing with disreputable online dealers.

This is probably going to be tough for you. I wouldn't want to risk my business with a transatlantic purchase that may or may not show up at the hotel in time to use. You could try checking the local stores in D.C., including Best Buy & Circuit City. I've occasionally found this lens in those stores for retail price.