18-200

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by general, Dec 30, 2005.

1. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Well, I have joined the owners of the 18-200mm VR. It is a very gray day in Nebraska and it was difficult to find anything colorful to shoot. Nothing worth showing but ran it through its paces at many different focal lengths including some indoors to check out the VR more strenuously. I looked at some of the outdoor shots at 400% on the computer and they are excellent. For a consumer level lens, these initial results please me. More results when the sunshine although that my be March.

2. tell us more!

I have this lens on order, as I wanted one 'general purpose' lens that would do it all. How do you feel it compares with your other lenses? Any noticable distortion, edge illumination falloff, flare or low contrast? Sure would be interested in anything you can share! Best wishes, Charlie

3. I got my 18-200 VR yesterday from Roberts, thanks to Ken-L. Like any new lens, consumer or otherwise, you have to learn its nuanaces. One thing I know already is that this lens really wants to take pictures no matter what the lighting conditions. That means it will shoot pics at very unrealistic settings. You still have to use your noodle and say wait a minute, if I do this, I know darn well it won't be sharp! This one was done today at ISO 800, f/5.6, 125 sec.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Yes, but

The amazing thing is that many of them will be sharp. This VR system is truly exceptional.

Charlie, I am away from home now. So far I have shot several exposures at all the focal lengths and multiple shutter speeds focussing mostly on sharpness. I am only interested in the lens as a walkaround. I am not really the right guy for measurbating; it doesn't really interest me. If I can take good pictures, I am satisfied.