18-200mm DX VR lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Scott Sherman, Sep 24, 2005.

1. I read somewhere that Nikon may be getting ready to announce a new lens in the 10x magnification catagory. Speculation was that it would be 18-200 in DX format with VR and with any luck auto-focus, silent wave (AFS). When I first heard about it, I thought yeah right another one size fits all. It would probably either be a dog optically or slow focusing like the 80-400. Then I read about a new lens for Canon, a 28-300mm for full frame cameras a 12 x magnification, (equivilent to 12-200mm in DX) http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012901canon28300is.asp About $2500 retail.

Now I am wondering if Nikon is going to bring us a near one size fits all (or a lot anyway) lens that will be acceptable over the range and does not sacrifice speed in focusing, although with that range it would need to move a lot of glass to get from one end to the other.

I can see advantages in a wide range lens for travel. Imagine little to no lens changes, smaller lighter bags, etc. How cool would that be? I read a review from Luminous Landscape which kind of took the wind out of the sails for my enthusiasm for several reasons listed here. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-28-300.shtml But still, if were a DX lens, I could see it being an improvement over the Canon version. Hopefully Nikon learned by Canon's mistakes here.

Even so, I found it interesting and wanted to share.

Wondering if any of you folks have also heard anything juicy? I don't mind rumors, they are actually kind of fun if you don't invest in them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2005
  2. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
  3. It is interesting enough that I just ebayed my 24-120 VR on the unverified rumour. If it turns out to be untrue or over $1000, I can always buy it back. If true, it promises to be quite an astonishing offering - I can buy one lens that will do everything from snaps to travel and forever quit lusting after pro zooms and sink all remaining money into ultra fast primes. I am just hoping that Nikon will update the entire prime range with af-s and vr (where applicable). As much as I love my 70-200, this 18-200 coupled with a 35 f/1.4 DX afs, 60 f/1.4 DX afs vr, and a 200 f/2 is all the glass I'll ever need (I promise). It is too bad only one lens on my list actually exists and it come in at such a hefty price tag.

4. Hopefully there is more information to follow. I'm going to keep a close eye on this, because if it is in my price range (I really hope it is) and if the rumors are true, I'd hope to get this once it is potentially released to the public. I have been eyeing the 24-120 VR, but this rumor here of a 18-200 is keeping my attention on hold (for the moment) on the 24-120 VR until more information is released about the 18-200.

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I will be keeping my eye on this. If it is as good as the 24-120VR I will get it. Maybe after Bjorn reviews it. :wink:

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

It better has to show something interesting for it, if I'm going to review it. I'm truly feed up with consumer optics and won't do more of those (neither will I do the D50 camera, which I have tested and really dislike :frown: ).

18-200 doesn't sound too promising, but I wait with any further decision until the lens has materialised.

7. I agree.
    Even if Nikkor comes out with the exact equivalent of Canon's $2500 28-300, from what I've read of it, I'd still be better served by toting around my 17-55 and 70-200 in my little Micro-trekker 100. Two of my greatest pleasures in life are frequent lens changes interspersed with occasional sensor swabbing. Really. :redface:

8. but...it would be a great travel lens at roughly the size and weight of the 24-120 VR +20%. There is room in my bag for one af-s vr consumer zoom and some quality primes (or pro zooms) as well. I don't think pro quality glass elliminates the convenience of the all in one even if optical inferiority is self evident.