18-200VR - Perfect outdoor wedding lens?

Discussion in 'People' started by Montec, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    I am curious why this lens does not get more mention from wedding photogs?

It seems like this would be the perfect lens with the range it covers, with the VRII giving it 4 stops to play with for hand held you could effectively use this at 1/15 in low light conditions.

Is the IQ just not there with this lens? I use the 70-200VR but it is huge and cannot cover anything close up.

Any thoughts?

2. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    MC, I don't care much for zoom lenses let alone long zoom lenses. The Ideal lenses for weddings are probably primes for the most part. I would use a 28-70 on a D2x with a 105 on a D2hs if I had to pick my favorites of nikon gear. IMO if you need to use a 70-200 or 18-200 something is wrong with your legs ;)

3. The 18-200 is a nice consumer lens but nothing beats fast, pro glass. A co-worker does professional wedding photography and loves his 70-200VR and other lenses. I rented the 70-200VR for a wedding we were invited to, and I was blown away by the IQ vs. my 18-200VR. I could do portraits and really blur out the background, and the photos were sharper and had more punch. Wish I could afford the lens.

Obviously the 70-200VR is a heavy beast. But wedding photographers are usually laden with quite a bit of equipment as it is.

4. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    I just shot a wedding with a combo of 70-200 VR, 18-200 VR, and a 50mm 1.4. I was using flashes indoors and surprisingly my 18-200 shots came out better than my 70-200 shots due to the ability to come in a little closer (or should i say, go wider) than 70mm. I got some great dance floor action with that 18-200 and when i needed to back up and get more of a room view, it worked great for that too.

I must admit that i used the 70-200 for the ceremony shots though, even though i could have used flash.

The 18-200 is definitely no replacement for the 70-200VR but it's worth it to bring it along and have it on a body (for me atleast). There were a lot of shots I would have missed if i didnt have that lens on one of my bodies.

5. This lens has exceptional IQ for what it is... a 11x zoom for under $1k. As such, unless you are a pro, it will perform exceptionally. But, if you're getting paid what wedding photographers get paid today, you owe it to them to use pro glass.

If I were going to a friend's wedding as a friend and wanted great pictures to remember the event by, I'd throw that 18-200 on my D2X (or D100) and have at it.

6. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    Thanks for the replies, I love the 70-200VR but it only gets used about 20% of the time, the other times I use another body with a wider zoom like the 17-55.

Would be nice to have a pro quality lens that covered that entire range...but I will keep dreaming...

7. On Thursday I used one for a wedding but only because it was on the beach an hour before sunset and I was the second shooter. It hunted for focus much more than I was used to and at one point I just went manual for a series of shots.

Then again the owner of the wedding photography business that I was second shooting for told me that his best photographer uses it exclusively at the weddings he shots.

8. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I have never used the 18-200, but I suspect that the chances that every wedding you shoot is not going to be outdoors and sunny. At 1/15s, even if it can be handheld, you're going go to have some image blur. And at what ISO would you be shooting at anyway? I keep my D200 on ISO auto max 400. 1/15 is useless for most events unless the subjects remain quite still.

The bokeh and motion-stopping capabilities of a f/2.8 lens are well worth the extra weight. I switch between a 70-200 and 17-55 for most events, and have yet to try out my new 28-70 in a photoshoot.