18-55 lens problem

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by lazijay, Sep 11, 2008.

1. lazijay

lazijay

Jul 27, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    I hope this belongs here.

Okay so the problem is, my girlfriend's 18-55 kit lens sometimes detaches itself from the camera body. It works fine, but you just have to hold the lens against the body, or the body will think the lens isn't attached.

Here's a picture of her lens. There's a piece missing. If you can't see it, it is underneath those silver balls or whatever.

2839082944_6266c975db.

This is my kit lens. As you can see, it's sort of hard, but that piece is there.

View attachment 252218

Is there a way Nikon can replace this lens?

2. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    If it's what think - can't se it real well - one of the plastic tabs has broken off. This is all too common on platic mount lenses if you drop or jar them.

Nikon should be able to fix - no idea of the price. Try calling Nikon service and asking.

3. lazijay

lazijay

Jul 27, 2008
    Salinas, CA
    Yeah that tab is missing. I believe my girlfriend dropped the lens or something like that.

4. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    If it isn't under warranty, I wouldn't bother sending it to Nikon. This lens can be picked up on the forums for $65-75 in mint condition and the VR version for like $110-$125. Cost of repairs and postage will likely be more than another copy.

5. Now you have a good reason for picking up the Sigma 30! hahaha.

6. evokel

evokel

Sep 6, 2008
    florida
    this forum?

7. sllywhtboy

sllywhtboy

Jun 28, 2006
    detroit'ish
    once you hit 25 posts and 30 days of registration ('ish) then you'll get access to the FS section. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.