18-70 vs. 24-85

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JustinD, Jul 15, 2005.

1. I'm thinking about picking up the Nikkor 24-85mm lens and selling the 18-70mm that I got with my D70.

I've been reading some reviews and it seems that the 24-85 AF-S lens is a pretty good low priced choice. Thom Hogan seemed to like it as well (if that counts for anything..)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the 24-85? Would it be a good alternative to the respectable 18-70?

Or should I just stay with the "kit" lens I have now...

Any suggestions or help deciding would be appreciated. :)

2. Justin,
    The 24-85 is a very good lens. I have one for sale on ebay if you're interested. It's a very sharp lens, but I'm selling it to raise the cash for a 28-70.

Lens Item number: 7530475156

3. Hi Justin,
    I have both of these fine lenses. I also have two bodies (D-70 & D-100). I find that I like the 18-70 when I have both cameras or a single camera and two lenses (the second being a telephoto). However when I am going to take just a single camera and one lens, like for a walk around a city I am visiting, I usually opt for the 24-85.
    I know this does not help, but depending on what your shooting style and subjects are, you either need the 24-85 or keep the 18-70 and add something like the 70-300G or ED (or a top line lens like the 70-200AFS-VR if that is in your budget)
    Bob

4. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    I was under the notion that the 18-70 and 24-85 were basically similar lenses with the slight difference in mm? Am I wrong to assume that?

5. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    You're quite correct.

About the same comparison as the 17-55 v. the 28-70.

Both are capable performers.

6. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Perfect, my assumtion wasn't wrong. Thanks Mike!

7. eheffa

eheffa Guest

18-70 vs 24-85

In my 2 samples, the 18-70 is a better lens at all focal lengths esp at the wider end.... less CA & sharper.

My 24-85AFS did have a nice long end & at times I miss that extra reach but generally the 24-85 stays in the bag at home now.

The problem with this sort of feedback is that it is not statistically valid as my 2 samples may be significantly different from any other samples out there. Your experience could be the exact opposite but in my case it's no contest.

-evan

8. Hey Evan,

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I've decided not to change the 18-70 for the 24-85. Doesn't make much sense.

Now I want a macro lens and some kind of telephoto. Any suggestions?

I've been looking at the Sigma 90mm...

9. Justin,

If you can find one and afford it, the Nikon 70-180 micro is a great lens for macro and mid-range telephoto. It's considered second only to the Nikon 70-200 and 80-200 in that telezoom range. However, it's not the ideal sports/fast action lens if that's one of your primary, intended uses.

Here are some reviews. http://www.bythom.com/70180Macrolens.htm
    http://www.photo.net/ezshop/product?product_id=44

Here is someone selling their mint, US model with Kirk QR plate for $750 shipped. Very reasonable price if the lens is as advertised. http://www.photo.net/gc/view-one.tcl?classified_ad_id=619532

I have a 70-180 and love it.

Glenn

10. Hey Glenn,

I hadn't even considered this lens. Thanks for pointing it out to me!

11. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Like the 200-400 AIS, the 70-180 Micro-Nikkor seems to be a lens becoming eagerly sought after and regarded higher as time goes by, since more people discover just how good this lens is. Since neither the 200-400(AIS) nor the 70-180 became popular during their initial production run, Nikon discontinued them quickly (well, the 200-400 anyway).

I tend to use my 70-180 as a general-purpose lens for close-ups. It has significant advantages for this purpose because of its zooming capability which allows effortless framing of the subject without a need for moving the tripod. The 70-180 is also unique in not losing any light when when it is focused closer. Thus, although f/4.5-5.6 might not seem to fast and exciting, these values still apply at closest focus where other lenses lose up to 2 stops.

However, I don't consider it a good performer for landscape type of work and to this end I much prefer my 200/2 VR. The 200 VR is probably the sharpest medium focal length lens ever made by Nikon.

12. Przemek

Przemek Guest

I own both of these lenses actually by a fluke of incidents.

I would say don't buy the 24-85mm AF-S now that you already own the 18-70mm. They are quite close and the 24-85mm is not a good upgrade step.

If someone did not own either of them though, I would recommend they get the 24-85mm. I appears slightly sharper at the tele end, at least my sample, and does not vignette because it's a full frame lens (obviously).

Right now, just start saving up for a professional Nikkor to upgrade from the 18-70mm

Regards,
    Przemek