180//2.8 - an affordable jewel

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, May 8, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  2. fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Stop it with this lens already! :) Great pictures, this is one special lens.
    I guess that second to last picture really does prove hindsight is 20/20 ;)
  3. exposinglife

Apr 12, 2007
    Once again, great captures Uncle Frank. I'm still considering this as my next lens along with the 70-300mm VR. I think that the 180 coupled with a 1.4 or 1.7 TC might be the better route. I have yet to be disappointed with any shots coming from the 180/2.8.

Thanks for sharing...
  4. Bummy watching is a popular sport. And one artist was raking in sales of bummy-art!

5. Frank,

I'm glad to see that both you and the old 180 can still maintain proper focus when presented with such a target rich environment.
  6. It's a neat lens, Dave. It fits my needs perfectly, because it's the longest f/2.8 lens that will fit into my Crumpler $6M Home, and the longest lens I can handhold.

Btw, since it's a non AF-S lens, you can't use the Nikon TCs with it, so your choices would be Kenko/Tamron 1.4x or 2.0x. But using a TC robs some of the sparkle from the 180's renderings. The 1.4x is OK in a pinch, but imho, the 2.0x would be too much. I used the Kenko Pro 1.4x for this portrait of a Canada Goose, just to try it out.

7. Bless you, Tosh, for selling me your 180. Your price was high, as usual, but the lens was in excellent condition, and I knew you needed the money to fund your second 200/2VR :rolleyes: :wink: :tongue:.
  8. I took a bag of my favorite glass to an art fair last Sunday. Nancy browsed the booths, while I practiced taking candids and talking to other photographers. Each of the 4 lenses got some play, but when I edited my haul, the 180/2.8 had produced 80% of the keepers.

Great shots Uncle Frank specially the last two...even if she has an Oly
  9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

woa Frank ...that's some really nice gl***

10. never heard it called that before :eek:
  11. Ciao Frank

your shots are ALWAYS outstanding! I really wonder if you have a magic wand instead of a camera... I guess none of my shots has ever been so catching as one of yours, at your choice. Really really great! Keep posting, my friend!

All the best.

ps it looks like a good part of the DPR forum is moving here.. :D
  12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Sparky...that lens isa really bummer:wink:
  13. ps do you keep any portrait course there, now and then??? you have the ability to make me lust for something I DON'T need
    Dino, repeat again: you DON'T need the 180, it's FRANK doing the shots... you DON'T need the 180, it's FRANK doing the shots... you DON'T need the 180, it's FRANK doing the shots... :D :D :D