180mm @2.8, Candids - cutting the herd

My first attempt at candid shots. I’ve never really been comfortable taking pics of strangers without first asking permission and even then would rarely do that. I was inspired by the great candid shots I’ve seen on this Forum so I had to give it a try.
I developed a technique that seems to work for me, let me share it with the other timid few... :biggrin:
I found a Farmers market which takes place late in the day with great light running down the center of the street. The setting sun hovers at eye level on the West end of the street and shines into the crowd making its way up the street past the tents.. The first thing I do is stop at the adult beverage tent and enjoy a brew or two to take the edge off, I then wandered down the street to the far end and hide in the sun like a coward. People walking up the street are avoiding looking into the sun and therefore unaware of someone photographing them. Pretty sneaky eh! Unfortunately you get allot of squinty eyes and sunglass shots.. :smile:
The 180mm f2.8 on my D200 at 2.8 does a great job cutting the herd and the focal length gives great working distance for remote shooting. The 180mm’s small profile doesn’t seem to intimidate those that do notice it. Forgive my framing as I was concentrating on the light illuminating the subject and avoiding the bright white tents.

CC very welcome...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 240600

View attachment 240601
]
View attachment 240602

View attachment 240603

View attachment 240604

View attachment 240605

View attachment 240606

Really like the ballon shot. Your images remind me that I need to take my 180 out of its case more often :)

Nice shots ...... I find with the 18-200 lens, I can stay far enough away from the subject that they usually don't know I'm taking their picture ......

Best,

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom