180mm f/2.8 + TCs??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bruheim, Jul 8, 2007.

1. bruheim

bruheim

Jul 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I've been casually looking for a f/2.8 telephoto for occasional night sports, trying to work within, as I recently read elsewhere, "a married man's budget". I've rented the 70-200 before, and it is terrific, but is heavier than I like, usually running up and down the sideline to try to more or less keep up with a soccer game.

My current clever idea is a 180mm f/2.8. When I rented the 70-200, it was rarely not fully extended, so a fixed FL is a minor issue for me. I was wondering if anyone uses a 1.4 TC with a 180, and if it maintains AF with the TC. I wouldn't expect to use the TC at night, but it would be an added benefit to be able to use the TC during the day. The images I've seen posted with that lens look beautiful; would also be interested to know if it is TC-AF capable, opinions about any degrade in image quality.

Appreciate any feedback.

2. Since the AF 180mm is not AF-S or AF-I, you can't get AF with the Nikon TCs. You would need to get a Kenko/other 3rd party TC.

I repeat, there's no Nikon TC for AF/AF-D lenses.

3. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    yeah. the kenko pro 300 1.4 TC's are well regarded and owned by lots of people here. it would the be answer.

4. bruheim

bruheim

Jul 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks, that is useful info. I'm not hung up on using a Nikon TC, just would like to know if anyone's work and maintain AF. Does anyone have successful experience with other than Kenko Pros? Able to post/link examples?

Thanks in advance.

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Kenkos maintain AF quite ell. I am not the best birder here by a long shot, but a Kenko 1.4TC let me shoot handheld as shown in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. bruheim

bruheim

Jul 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Chris, thanks for the add'l info and link to the other thread.

7. An 80-200 AF-d (or AF-s, theres one for sale for 950 in the for sale forum right now) is a good option aswell, And the Af-s works amazingly with the TC14e.

8. I took this test shot with the 180/28 and the Kenko Pro 1.4x TC, just to verify they were compatible.

Personally, I don't like TCs. I'm not willing to pay the price in terms of reduced performance/image quality. But that's jmho.

9. bruheim

bruheim

Jul 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for posting the image, Frank, it looks pretty sharp to me.