1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

180mm F2.8 + 500D

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Slapped the 500D onto my 180mm F2.8 tonight. Got some neat results shooting the snake on a black marble countertop :smile:

Keep in mind, he's smaller than a pencil right now.

[​IMG]

2. Beautiful image. I see that you have put that 500D to great use.

Great job!

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I sure have :smile: The 500D + 18-70 kit lens is the ultimate closeup reptile lens.

4. scary but beautiful :smile: good capture

5. I want one! Looking into Cornsnakes or Ball pythons :tongue:

6. very nice image

7. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Neat capture, keep em coming!
    I like to see these but my family would freak out if I brought one home so I'll have to do the zoo route or enjoy your posts :) 

8. Very nice, looks like he's posing for you :smile:

9. david....
    that is a great image
    the 500D used to be talked about a lot more around THE CAFE
    wish it would again

very well done

10. That really is a cool image. And you were at the right place at the right time!
    I never can seem to find snakes like that crawling around on my kitchen counter.

11. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    He's a rough green snake. He's only about 8 weeks old right now. He'll get about 3ft long and as thick as a Sharpie marker. You don't have to feed him rats either... just crickets. He's very friendly too :smile:

12. I briefly tried the 500D on my 300 F4 - had some fun shooting a few things - nothing was a keeper because I was trying to handhold everything

13. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    The 500D seems to work well on nearly every lens I've put it on. I only have the 72mm version, and my 300mm F4 is the older one with the big ol' 82mm threads. I just acquired a Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO yesterday and I'm going to give it a try on that later on. (72mm threads).

14. Really nice image. I enjoy the 500D and keep telling myself to use it more often.

On your image, was that snake staying absolutely still? I ask because depth of field is so shallow that any movement left or right, forward or backward will throw it out of focus. Were you 'tracking' and adjusting focus as the snake moved?

15. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    He's a quick little guy. Wasn't easy to keep in focus. That's at F8 and he only had to move 1/8" to be completely out of focus.

I just set the focus at one spot and moved around to adjust the focus. As soon as he would get too close, the AF would lose him anyways so I would have to physically move back.

16. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Here's another one with the 500D this time mounted on the 18-70 (resize only, no crop):

[​IMG]

Sorry about the dirty sensor! I hadn't had a chance to clean it that day.

17. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
    TMR Design:
    Same here. Got a 72mm for my 105DC and 180, but the 500D is far from worn-out.

18. Yup. I can use my 500D on the 18-70mm and 70-300mm. Results are good with both but better with the 70-300mm. I've tried but can't really get anything good handheld much about about 135mm or so. It goes down hill from thee unless I use a tripod.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.