180mm f2.8 AF-D lens hood?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by docshank, Apr 20, 2007.

1. docshank

docshank

Feb 24, 2007
    Tennessee
    For the users of the 180mm f2.8 AF-D lens. Do you use the built-in lens hood or is there a better alternative lens hood when using this lens with a DSLR camera? I'm fixing to order this lens within the next few days and am wondering if I need to order a different hood for it at the same time. I know it comes with a built-in hood, just wondering if there is one that is recommended to be better when using this lens on a digital camera. Thanks in advance for the replies.

docshank

2. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    doc, the 180mm is a great piece of glass and the built-in hood is just fine.

3. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    If you want a deeper hood than the built-in hood, consider the B+W screwin metal telephoto hood. Check B&H for details. This hood is much longer than the built-in hood, it probably vignets when used on film cameras but should be fine for DX.

4. the builtin is great and the builtin part is even better
    the 300/4 has the same s/u
    but both are also open on the back end so be careful changing lenses

5. I can't imagine what I'd shoot with mine that would require a different hood. I was shooting backlit GBHs and cormorants this morning near my condo with no problems. I think you'll find the built in hood adequate. Not to worry ... and you're in for a real treat when you view your first images with it. Be well and shoot lots.