1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

180mm F2.8 vs 80-200

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I went out with my 180 F2.8 today, and kept finding myself wanting to back up a few feet to get a shot... Normally I would've taken my 70-210 out, but I wanted some F2.8 action today :biggrin:

So I guess my question is this: What would I be losing by selling my 180 F2.8 and 70-210 and getting an 80-200 F2.8? I've had this debacle before, but that was over a year ago, and I didn't have a 180 F2.8 to compare to.

I'm very happy with the focus speed, both on the 70-210 and 180 (on my D2H atleast... the 180 isn't as snappy on the D70) and I love both lenses wide open. Even though the 70-210 isn't very fast, especially at the long end, it's still quite sharp.

Would I be disappointed with the IQ (wide open) at the long end of an 80-200? I know the focus on the 80-200 isn't the greatest, but on a D2H (or soon-to-come D300) is it going to be THAT terrible? I honestly don't care about size or weight. I enjoy the heavier lenses :smile:

I'm sure some of you own both the 180 and 80-200, so I would love to hear some first-hand experiences (wide open).

2. I love the IQ of my 80-200 AF-S. To me, the big difference is size. The 80-200 is big and heavy. It intimidates kids a times and is more-attention grabbing (something I don't always want in my shooting).

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Gretchen - The AF-S version (and AF-D) are most likely out of my price range for now. I was thinking about the older push-pull version. It's almost 1/2 the weight and not quite as girthy.

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I owned the Nikkor 180 2.8 ED AIS and the AF 80-200 ED AF first vesion several years ago. Now I have the classic 80-200 2.8 ED AIS:biggrin:. All of the lenses are sharp wide open IMO but I would rate the Prime Nikkor 180 2.8 ED AIS as the shapest wise open with the least resistance to flare with my 80-200 ED AIS coming a very close second in the sharpness catagory. But to be truthfull when you nail the focus the old Nikkor zoom is very, very sharp and the older Nikkor 80-200 AF bringing up the rear repectfully. If you want the ultimate 80-200 2.8 get the classic AIS version. Try www.kevincameras.com. However, the lens is pricey, huge 86mm and heavy with the minimum focus being only 8 feet, with no af:tongue:.

gregory

5. Ah, ok! :smile:

One thing for me that has really come into play....I travel a bit, and the 80-200 (AF-S) is cumbersome to tote around. The 180 has is much more amenable to airline's ever-shrinking requirements for carry-on stuff.

As to IQ, I feel they're similar, but then again, I'm not that into lens testing. It either works, or it doesn't. :wink:

6. I love my push pull, but it is a heavy thing. IQ is EXCELLENT! I've talked to people who have owned both the 80-200 and 70-200 VR and some say the IQ is BETTER on the older 80-200's. If you don't need VR, then there's no question which one to get. The price difference is HUGE. If size/weight doesn't matter then go for it!

7. If the focus speed on the 70-210 and 180 is not a concern than you would be more than happy with the 80-200 AF-D version. It is much smaller and lighter than the AF-S version.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.