1834 Oliver Filley House

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by A Risen Fury, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Took a little trip around the corner from my house, came up with a few of these pictures. C&C is welcomed :).

SunsetField.jpg

FilleyHouseII.jpg

OliverFilley.jpg

Stairway.jpg

2. Hi,

My first reaction on seeing these was what a shame that the house has been allowed to go to ruin!

So did a bit of research and found this:

http://www.bloomfieldcthistory.org/Our_Properties/Filley_House/filley_house.html

Would seem your local community has worked hard to get it where it is!

As to the pics of the house, for me they do not give a huge amount of interest. However, the colour and light is very good.

I do like the first picture and the way you have caught the sun.

I see what you are trying to do with the last one, but I am not experienced enough to give advice on how to achieve it. Hopefully some of the pros will be along soon to help.

Best regards

Chris

3. nice pictures
    and... chris... i appreciate that link, as well
    interesting place

i used to live in New Milford.... less than 50 miles to the west
    nice area

thanks for sharing

4. Yeah the outside is still not in the best condition but they've been working on it. They're trying to keep it very historically accurate on the outside which I can't imagine being an easy task. I've been there so many times and taken pictures so it's hard to come up with some new angles and ideas. Usually I get it from the otherside with the mowed grass. Thought I'd try something new and go through the tall fields and catch the sun setting on it but I didn't know it was downhill from there so I lost a lot of the house.

The first one I love, I thought it turned out better than I thought it would.

The stairway one was annoying me, I couldn't figure out how to get that light pouring in effect. I tried tons of different settings and even some diffused fill flash. In the end that's the best one I got. I'd really love to learn how to do that effect though.

Thanks for the comments!

5. Thank you! I've been starting to appreciate Connecticut a bit more as I get older. I took a 300 level college class last semester just on CT History it was pretty interesting.

6. wow...
    i bet that class was interesting
    the history of the area really is quite fascinating

7. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    i really like the first one :)

8. Why thank you stranger :p

9. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    want candy? :)

when did u get the D60? are these shots with teh D60 also? had no idea you got a new cam :D

10. Ummm, I traded my D50 for a D40 with another guy from here about 3 months ago or so. Ended up finding a buyer for the D40 and the 18-55VR so I bought the D60 kit and then packaged up the D40 and the brand new 18-55VR and sold it, got the D60 for effectively like $200 which I fealt it was worth. If I had to get it for the full $650 I paid I probably wouldn't have gotten it. Pretty much all my pics in the last 2 months have been with the 60. When the D90 comes out I may try to unload the 60 and go for that if it offers some additional features over the 60, for now the 60 is more than enough camera.