19" or 20" monitor for under $200?

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by KsJET, Jul 22, 2007.

1. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    Is that possible? :redface: I have an old 15", 300:1 LCD and it's driving me crazy. Costco has several 19" and 20" monitors for under $200. Anything will be an improvement over this monitor, but are these going to be OK or should I wait until I can spend more? I just need something decent, not spectacular. These are the choices at Costco.com Monitors I'm pretty clueless when it comes to monitors!

2. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
  3. I just picked up a 22" wide screen monitor at Costco for $269Cdn for watching movies at the lake from the laptop. Push a little on the price and get the larger screen - you'll love it. I've had a 23" BenQ LCD on the PC for a few years now and it's great for PP work.

4. For the longest time, my local Costco's have had a 19" widescreen viewsonic for under $200. My father-in-law has received one as a gift and it looks really good. Either way just make sure you calibrate.

5. Hi,

I use a Dell 20.1" on my PC and a Samsung 22" on my Mac. Both are good performers at their designated resolution of 1680 x 1050 pixels.

The resolution is the main difference between the 19" and 20"-screens. Most 19" use the same resolution as the 17" models, i. e. 1280 x 1024 (non-widescreen). Starting with the 20"-models, the resolution increases.

I think though, you should decide whether you need

- a higher resolution (so go for 20" or more to get a 1680 x 1050 or 1600 x 1200)
    - just a bigger screen (19" may be enough).

The Samsung 22" I got from Amazon, it costs 250 EUR around here, so about 180 bucks. The image quality is fine, the use of DVI instead of VGA is recommended - for any screen, by the way.

Regards,

Mattes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.