1948 Fleet Canuck at Pitt Meadows Airport

Going through my old slides and I found a shot of the '48 Fleet Canuck I used to fly. The plane has a stick instead of a control column, fabric wings and is aerobatic rated.

The shot is from the late 1990's My instructor and the owner of the aircraft was Bob Gilmour.

bob's canuck.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" you flew in that??? Mom, you are braver than i thought" - Georgie Beagle

Nice looking plane. Almost as old as me.

Was it fun to fly or just frightening?

Hi Ted,

It was exciting and brought excitement back in to flying. I got my license in 1972 at age 19 flying Cessna 150s and 172s. The taildragger was a whole new beginning for me. It flies slow and is a surprisingly gentle aircraft to fly. Spins and stalls are a bit more exciting than in the Cessna 150....

Cheers,

alexis and Georgie Beagle

"crazy lady..." - Georgie Beagle

Wow...little that we know about each other. You are an accomplished adventurous lady!

Trooper says " wow Georgie she must keep you hopping- I've never been up in a plane "

It is a funny story how I got into flying...

I was 18 and working at a union cleaning job to make money for university and a friend said I should come with her to ground school training at BCIT. I said "Why?" She said: "the instructor is cute" I said "ok" not intending to do more than go to the class. Off I went to the second class in the ground school program.

The instructor was nice and noticing I was new said: "Would you like to go flying on Sunday?" I thought: " he is cute, this could be fun...."

So on Sunday morning I went out to the Pitt Meadows Airport and we went for a flight in a C150. I had never been in an airplane before this. After an hour of flying around the Fraser Valley learning the basics and having fun I was hooked. I was totally addicted to flying and the freedom of flight. Three months later I had my private license.

Cheers,
alexis fosse mackintosh

"Hey Trooper, wana chase squirrels some time?" - Georgie Beagle

It is a funny story how I got into flying...

I was 18 and working at a union cleaning job to make money for university and a friend said I should come with her to ground school training at BCIT. I said "Why?" She said: "the instructor is cute" I said "ok" not intending to do more than go to the class. Off I went to the second class in the ground school program.

The instructor was nice and noticing I was new said: "Would you like to go flying on Sunday?" I thought: " he is cute, this could be fun...."

So on Sunday morning I went out to the Pitt Meadows Airport and we went for a flight in a C150. I had never been in an airplane before this. After an hour of flying around the Fraser Valley learning the basics and having fun I was hooked. I was totally addicted to flying and the freedom of flight. Three months later I had my private license.

Cheers,
alexis fosse mackintosh

"Hey Trooper, wana chase squirrels some time?" - Georgie Beagle
What a neat story. Funny how things just fall into your lap when you least expect it.

Trooper says..".squirrels? Where? Oh boy..oh boy...gotta catch the squirrels!!"

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom