1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

1960's Style Lighting

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Rob_H, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Rob_H

Rob_H

Apr 10, 2009
    I've got the opportunity to shoot some classic mopeds (along with suitably dressed & styled models) in a couple of months and whilst I'm confident that I can do a good job of lighting them using a relatively conventional lighting set up, I'd also like to try and get some shots with more authentic lighting and was wandering if anyone knew of any tutorials or books specially about 1960's lighting?

2. ChrisMike

ChrisMike

Sep 4, 2009
    Illinois
    I was 3 at that time, but do enjoy old style photos/lighting.
    Let's wait to see if others will post some direction.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    If you are talking about the 60's Mods then you should not refer to the transport as Mopeds!! :frown: Mopeds is a pedal assisted bike!
    Mod transport was either Vespa or Lambretta motor scooters with loads of mirrors :biggrin:

You could do worse than look at the film Quadrophenia and look at the images Here and listen to the music of the the Who, Smallfaces Kinks etc. Although Quadrophenia made in the 70's it does reflect the 60's

4. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Sounds like you were there :cool:  :smile:

5. Rob_H

Rob_H

Apr 10, 2009
    Apologies I meant scooters, most are Vespas but I think there might be the odd Lammy as well, I've already seen a few of them and they are proper 60s machines with more lights & mirrors than is decent.

I've had a good look at stills from the film as well as the work of David Bailey & Terry O'Neill and I think that I reverse engineer the lighting but if anyone knows of any guides or tutorials they would appreciated.

I'll definitely have some tunes playing in the studio

That could lead to an interesting and somewhat unproductive shot.

6. rexspangle

rexspangle

Dec 12, 2008
    Canada
    Probably not what you are thinking at all but I would use a ring flash along with some extra lights for this. Not completely authentic but I don't think it would look cliche or overdone as long as the set is nice.

Just a thought and good luck, that sounds like fun

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.