1st attempt at waterfall pics

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by kwork, Jul 23, 2007.

1. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Went to Hanging Rock State Park yesterday. It's about an hour from my house. Awesome scenery, but tends to get crowded in the afternoon since the trails are few, steep and narrow.

176088382-M.

176088402-M.

Some time when I have a day to myself, I'm gonna get up early before the sun is so harsh at the top of the falls.
    There's also another set of falls that's 3 miles further down the trail. Gotta get in shape for that trip.
    Didn't lug my tripod with me because I had my 3-yr old with me so these were shot with the Tokina 12-24 and whatever I could rest the camera on to get the shot.

C&C always welcome

2. murreywalker

murreywalker

Mar 25, 2005
    I like the second shot very much!

3. If you had stated you were a professional photographer and charged $500 a print, you would have sold out.

4. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    ummm...........

I'm a professional photographer.
    Now taking orders for prints.
    Only $500 each!!!

:>

5. Howdy Neighbor!

Summerfield here, nice pictures. Are the other falls the Lower Cascade Falls? If so, you can drive close by, then short hike.

Hanging Rock is a park we hike anually during the fall.

Rob

6. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    My pics are of Hidden Falls and Window Falls.
    Tried to find an online map of the area so I could try to find an alternative to the 3 mile hike to the Lower Cascade Falls but didn't find it before we went.
    Will definitely try to make it next time.

7. Nice shots. These are tough to do without the tripod. I have trecked to a lot of falls in NC; but, have yet to go to Hanging Rock. My wife keeps suggesting that as a destination. She wants to head to the mountains, on saturday; so, maybe I should put Hanging Rock on the itinerary.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lol
    Beautiful pics

All sold out
    Darn
    Limited edition I take it:>)))))

9. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    And it's not too far from Mt Airy if she wants to check out the shops. Definitely print out a or pick up a map so you can park close to the falls rather than hiking 3-4 miles from one set to the next (unless you're in better shape than me :biggrin: There's at least 2 other falls within 1/4 mile of small parking lots that I didn't have time to check out.

Definitely will go back when the leaves begin to change!

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    ahh, beginners luck.

Next time he gets blinkies, drought, whatever. ;)

Just kidding, nice job for your first time and no tri-pod, what are you crazy??? Amazing category with no tri-pod with the smoothed motion. I always say, don't forget to take the antithisis of these shots, a shot with fast shutter time. not enough water here to catch to much. I guess your in drought too. But when you catch water right moving quickly, it can be fun too sort of like this one...

http://www.fotogafer.com/photos/175977679-L.jpg

Doug

11. Lower Cascade Falls

Link to a map:

http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/haro/haro.pdf

Just before entering the park at the gate, there is a road to the right, Moores Spring Road. Take it and then the first left is Hall Road. The parking lot is just a short way from Moores Spring Road. Nice short hike down into the gorge.

My attempt last fall, D50, 50mm 1.4, 1/4sec., f10, tripod

125225258-L.

12. Daniel-Swe

Daniel-Swe Guest

Looks nice!
    Especially the second one!

13. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Thanks for the link.
    That's a beautiful pic

14. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Thanks Doug.
    I wonder if somebody saw me and took pics of me?

At the lower falls, there were 2 fallen trees laying across the stream. One was the perfect height to sit on and just above it was the other one, just perfect to set the camera on. Lens hood kept it from slipping. Set it to timer mode, click and wait. Keep in mind, the strap was around my neck the whole time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.