1st b-day party pics

Discussion in 'People' started by clickcanada, Aug 7, 2007.

1. It was my second cousins first bay this weekend, and there was a party of course! I am still strugling with getting enough light to get good clean colours, but I am learning. These pics have all been PP'd mostly with auto correction, because I am not that good with Elements yet either!:redface:

Ellie getting ready to open some gifts.

[​IMG]

Very pleased with her singing card.

[​IMG]

Up to her elbows in cake and loving it!!

[​IMG]

Sharing some cake with Nono.:tongue:

[​IMG]

Some of these pics were taken with my 50/1.8, and they were a little better. The others were taken with my 18-55, which is a very low cost lense. I was shooting in A mode, and kept the ISO low to reduce noise, it was between 7 and 8 pm whene these were taken.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for looking.

Michael

2. Vin2k

Vin2k

May 9, 2007
    Dallas
    A speedlight will really make those pics POP! They're all good but I love 1 and 3, and 3 would of been even better if the 1 candle was facing the camera.

3. I have a sb-600 but did not think to use it as their seemed to be enough light. I guess because i was facing west so the setting sun was behind my subject, it did not give me enough light to work with.
    There is so much to account for, it is not as easy as it looks!:redface:

4. As mentioned, a speedlight would have done great here but they are still good shots. If you shot them raw, you would have no problem bringing the levels up to help though.

I love the expression in the second and those chubby arms and folds around her wrists crack me up. My son is starting to get hose and it's so cute...

5. Michael, you have captured some nice emotion with these, but you can do better with your lighting and composition.

I would suggest using some fill flash for the shots you have taken outdoors. The lighting was tough late in the day. You are just better off using a properly exposed flash in this situation.

The second area is your cropping. Your photos will have a lot more impact if you compose more tightly on your subject's face. The legs and the lower half of the high chair really add nothing to these photos. Don't be afraid to move in and get close. This is a common mistake. It has taken me a while to get tight with my photos and crops. Here is one of my 2 year old in her high chair. It's no masterpiece, but you get the idea!

168195417-M.

6. Thanks for the pointers guys, much appreciated. I have tried shooting in raw once, just to see what all the fuss was about and if I had the gear to handle it (which I did not, and why I now have Elements). I did not realize that shooting raw would make that much of a difference, but I will have to try it and learn.

I see what you are saying about the cropping Mitch, I will have to go back through some of these and touch them up. I try not to crop too much after the fact so that the pics will maintain good resolution. The longest reach I have right now is 55mm :redface: I guess I will have to start saving for some additional glass to help with getting tighter in these situations.