1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

1st concert outing with the Cream Machine

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dzibead, Jul 8, 2008.

1. I finally got an opportunity to try out my 85mm 1.4 last night at the John Mayer concert in Toronto. I'm pretty pleased for a 1st go. Even the fuzzy ones have interesting light

2651674592_e6f7600e25_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 215517

View attachment 215519

2. One hell of a lens aint it :) 

Pair it with a D3 and ya almost gotta take a cutting torch and/or crowbar to seperate the pair :) 

3. mi2ark

mi2ark Guest

I'll add it to the list of lenses that I need.

(thanks for that)

Great pics!

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Great shots - #1 is my favorite (subject doesn't hurt also!!) How close to the stage were you?

5. Ok... I have to ask cause the curiosity is killing me... How do you get your DSLR in the venue??? Are you part of Media/staff or do you sneak it in???

6. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Nice series ........ even though the second image isn't focused ..... I like the effect, just something about it. Also, the same question Jose has........how did you bring your camera to the venue???

7. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    These are darn near as good as some D3 shots I've seen taken with an f/2.8! And believe me that's a compliment! Very nice work! :smile:

8. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Nice!

9. philcozz

philcozz

Jun 27, 2007
    Colchester, UK
    #3 is very nice. How DID you get a DSLR into a concert?

10. I agree. Even some of the blurry ones are really interesting like this one.

11. Hehehe.... guerilla photography. I sneaked it in in pieces and reassembled once in the venue. Let's just say that this is the one time it pays to have a decent sized rack. :wink:

12. We were in 4th row dead centre. I wasn't a big Mayer fan till I saw him live the 1st time. Now I'd crawl over broken glass for a ticket. He's something else. They don't call him "Slowhand Jr." for nothing. :cool: 

13. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    I must say .... these photos are great.

14. hahaha.... nice! I will have to try it. I have usually just brought my point & shoot with no problems. But bringing in the DSLR would be more challenging!

"Is that a lens in your pants or are you just happy to see me!?" :wink:

15. LOL. That's pretty much it. A friend's husband has gone that route with the lens then had my friend carry the body in her purse covered with feminine hygiene products.

16. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    You have some fabulous concert images in your Flickr album, great work!

17. patti...
    that is funniest thing today

seriously....
    how did you get to stand RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE STAGE to get these shots?

well done, by the way
    i like them

18. Greg, I had tickets for 4th row centre. I'm so addicted to concert photography that I've joined a number of fan clubs of my favourite artists so I can get presale tix. Last time I saw John it was 3rd row centre but I only had a P&S then.

P.S. my concert junkie cohorts refer to my camera as the 'boob cam'.

19. Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've got Police concerts in NY next month but I won't be close enough to use it except possibly at MSG for their final gig. After that I can be contacted at debtor's prison where they've booked my a suite.

20. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem

One time? Hell, I can imagine lots of moments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.