1st Day testing TC17

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bfjr, Nov 26, 2005.

1. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Went to the Dam to see how me, the Machine Gun and TC17 get along
    Well it was an OK hookup :smile:
    Gotta to do several things to make it work right, but when it does I sure dig the extra reach. Gonna have to work for me till I can get my hot little hands on 300 F2.8 or better.
    My yield went way down, but when exp was spot on and I kept shutter up we did OK, of course hope to do way better as we become buds :smile:
    Here's some visual examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and static were well static, besides Harry loves these birds so I couldn't resist :biggrin: :tongue:
    [​IMG]

2. I like the third...but then....I just like blue herons in general!

3. Looking good Ben, I just bought a 1.4 for my Sigma 2.8...If you're interested in going 300/2.8 you should try my Sigma with your D2Hs, huge bang for the buck lens ;)

I'm thinking of Bolsa Chica or Sepulveda tomorrow, would love to shoot with you again

-Brett

4. Well, now some of these shots look familiar..I was there as well today.. quit windy but great for flight shots...

The birds would sort of hover since they could not fight the winds.. Made for easy targets of BIF (Birds in Flight) for Steve...

5. Ben, I have that TC and I know what you mean. It's nice for the reach but with the 300f4 you lose quite a bit of light. I'm hoping Santa will bring me a TC14 for Christmas to give me a bit more flexibility in lower light situations. Nice pics by the way!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    As always great stuff :>)))

7. Well Ben, I have found that when I expose correctly and have my shutter speeds up, my pics look better as well... :rolleyes:

Seriously, these look pretty good. Keep them coming!

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ben,

I agree that the extra reach that you get with the 1.7 is nice, and I find that I have it on more than I'd like, but I find the 1.7 to be discernibly softer than the 1.4. It does seem to work better at apertures close to f8 though. What we both need is a nice 500 f4 in our Christmas stockings. :rolleyes:

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Well yeah, that was kinda of dumb statement I made wasn't it
    :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I should of said something like, with TC on board you have to be doubly sure your SS stays above focal length (that old rule still a good one) and your exp cannot vary more then 1/3 a stop and no overexp at all. I'll no more today after my shoot (if I get to go :frown: ).

And yes your images look pretty d..... good to me too :biggrin: :wink:

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Boy Frank from your mouth to Santa EARS!!
    Got my fingers crossed for you, buddy :wink:

I agree f8 is not bad so far.