1st Engagement Session Part 1

I had my first engagement session, which was really exciting! I definitely had some useful tips from members here and I was able to look through many threads before I tried for my first time. The session was shot at UW's campus. The cherry blossoms are open this time of year and they have a beautiful quad with huge cherry trees. This is part 1 of 2. There were lots of pictures I wanted feedback on since it was my first time. Please provide feedback! I would appreciate your honesty! I was very happy with how the photos turned out for my first time.

sDSC_0008%20copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

sDSC_0033%20copy.jpg

sDSC_0037%20copy.jpg

#4 - This was my favorite of the session!
sDSC_0046%20copy.jpg

sDSC_0061%20copysepia.jpg

sDSC_0087%20copy.jpg

sDSC_0088%20copy.jpg

#8 - Nobody I have talked to liked this image, but I like it a lot. Your thoughts?
sDSC_0094%20copy.jpg

Thanks for your critique and comments! This is part 1 of 2.

#3 and #8 stick out to as great photos. I also really like the softening you did on #5.

For some reason, #6 seems very awkward to me. I like #7, although I wish she was looking at the camera, but #6 just seems like an awkward pose to me. It seems like he's leaning in a strange position over to hold her hand.

Awesome set, Elliott. AWESOME.

Well done!! i have been to all of the places in those photos at UW... a lot as I recall. The Quad is a great place for this. Number 4 is a keeper for sure!!

Well done man!

Elliot-
I almost PM'd you the other day to see if you were going to post anything soon. I'm glad that I didn't have to resort to that :)

1: I like this; it's shot from a little lower than I'd typically shoot this photo, but I like it. I really like the way that her necklace is emphasized in this image.
2and 3: Nice job with the lines in these 2 shots. Nothing revoloutionary here-but they're standard engagement shots done well.
4: The pose is cute and feels real, but the color looks a little off-he's a little green and her hair is a bit purple.
6 and 7-I don't know that shooting up is the most flattering position for the girl in this couple. It emphasizes the width of her thighs, hips, and legs.
8: I'm not sure. It's tough to see the client printing this out and framing it, but I can understand why you like it. I'm glad that you didn't get an up-nose shot out of this. I think it's well-done and correctly processed, but I can't decide if I like it or not.

1. I really like the processing here. The soft yellow just over her head is great.
2 and 3: like paul said, very traditional engagement photos, but executed very well.
4: the color from your PP is a bit odd to me, I would've like more natural tones here, but i do like the shot itself.
5: this really grew on me. I love the processing, just wish they were a bit sharper around the edges.
6 and 7: great processing on 6. and again, paul nailed it, the angle isn't the most flattering for her, but they're still very good photos. I particularly like their expressions in 6, and wish she looked at you in 7!
8: processing is great, though i'm still undecided on the composition...

excellent work!

Thanks everybody for your comments! I definitely wanted to try some new pp work and put the nik filters to work. Paul, I was definitely shooting lower quite a bit - not sure why I wanted to that day, but I did. Mike, I definitely can see how 6 looks awkward, but I couldn't pass it up because of the expression. I appreciate all your comments - it will help me next time I shoot and process!

On second review, if he was being playful and kinda' pulling her closer to him and being a dork, that shot could work. It could go either way.

everything is tilted not sure it needs to be, the skintone on 4 is strange,

6 I like best, as said above, shooting upwards is often not ideal as it will draw attention to body shape (more noticible in 7)

think the second set is better, what is good about the images above is the couple appear they are having fun and there's a variety of shots for them to choose from

I wish they were doing something besides kissing in almost every photo. I think it is a great idea and you definitely want some of those pictures but it seems overdone. I really like the concept in #5 but I think it would be better if they were looking at the camera. Nice job though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom