1st pic with the 300/2.0

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by innerimager, Jan 6, 2006.

1. So it arrived after the sun was down. Excellent condition, big, beautiful hunk of stuff. Shot this with my S3 which is my best iso 1600 body at iso 1600, F2, 1/60, on monopod
    resized for web to 1024
    original.

here's a 100% crop from the original
    View attachment 24273

Can't wait till the sun comes up.

best....Peter

2. looks like it has huge potential to me!

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

"Can't wait till the sun comes up."

with that f/2 opening in front of your mammoth lens, the sun is almost built-in :biggrin:

4. I agree, Dave!....Peter

5. Bjorn- Maybe that's why I was sweating so much as soon as I touched the beast! I thought it was hormones. :biggrin:
    ....Peter

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The light-collection ability of this behemoth is what sets apart from most other long lenses. You can shoot under the most abysmal light conditions imaginable. For example, in the shot below, taken very early before dawn, I had to use a torch to be able to focus. But, provided you employ a rigid (not heavy) tripod and decent head with the 300/2, yoiu are ensured of very sharp images (this is at f/2 and probably around 1/2 or 1/4 sec, with 100 ISO film in my F5)

7. Stunningly beautiful image, Bjorn. Thanks for the inspiration....Peter

8. Wow, Bjørn! Your shot makes me homesick for birch trees! :wink:

Peter, how about a shot of the lens for those of us who have never seen it but are easily swayed by LLD?! :redface:

9. Looks great, Peter. More, please.

10. sure Kevin, soon as I can...Peter

11. Tons tomorrow, Phil. I promise! ....Peter

12. Bjorn- May I ask your advice as to a tripod and head. I currently have a gitzo 1227 and acratech head with a side kick, this is not the set up for this lens. With so many options, I appreciate you recommendation assuming this is the only lens I'll be using it for, at least none bigger/heavier. Thanks...Peter

13. another while I wait for dawn. D2X.......
    original.

14. I'm seriously impressed, and jealous. I want! I want! I want! Congratulations again, Peter. :)

Ming

15. Thanks Ming- You keep up those fabulous 500/4 shots, please! best.....Peter

16. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Wow! I should have mailed myself to NY this morning with that TC.

Envy, envy

Henry

17. nfoto

nfoto Guest

This lens, being so extremely heavy, isn't very suitable for most ball heads. The Burzynski will hold it well. However, whenever you get sufficient strength of the head to stabilise the 300/2, you will immediately observe that your tripod is inadequate and cannot truly support the massive load. You simply have moved the issue to the next level, but haven't solved it.

When I had my 300/2 I deployed it on a Sachtler tripod with a Sachtler fluid head and this worked well, but as you might expect [fear] this approach isn't for cheapskates :mad:

Play around with your new friend to learn how it should be used to give good pictures. Then it's easier to see both the problems and the alternatives for solving these.

18. Bjorn- Thanks for the advice. Also, I just read about your hard drive fiasco. My deep sympathies. I also note how your are coping with the problem... my deeper respect! Rock on, brother, and I'll raise a glass to your speedy recovery! best....Peter