1st shoot w/umbrella, short notice, C&C Please

Katie asked me if I could take a few pics, because she wanted one for her boyfriend for valentine's day. I just got an umbrella, and was shooting through it with my sb-800, and my onboard flash. Could've used another fill, but I don't have another speedlight yet. Will most likely be getting another sb-800 or sb-600 soon. All C&C extremely appreciated.

DSC_46118x10sepnikoncafe.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_4618hmmnikoncafe.jpg

DSC_4619nikoncafe.jpg

DSC_4629nikoncafe.jpg

First one is cool and the last one I think has the best lighting on her face and hair. I think it would have looked a little better if you had pulled her away from that white wall. The flash caused, from what I see, a hot spot just above and to the right of her head. It's just a little distracting. The second and third one I think would have looked a little better if the light was extended a little higher ans shot down towards her face. I think that would have lit her hair a little nicer on top. And in #3 it looks like she was squinting a little bit, and has lost a little detail in the teeth. She definitely looks like she had fun with it all though!

Real Name
Paul
Last one is the best for lighting. I like the first one but it seems like you had the flash a little too hot for the first three pictures.

First one is cool and the last one I think has the best lighting on her face and hair. I think it would have looked a little better if you had pulled her away from that white wall. The flash caused, from what I see, a hot spot just above and to the right of her head. It's just a little distracting. The second and third one I think would have looked a little better if the light was extended a little higher ans shot down towards her face. I think that would have lit her hair a little nicer on top. And in #3 it looks like she was squinting a little bit, and has lost a little detail in the teeth. She definitely looks like she had fun with it all though!

I want to say that the last one I actually raised the flash up higher than the first ones. I would've worked more with the white wall, but the wind kept blowing my umbrella over, I should've brought sandbags. I do see the hotspot you're talking about. I might try to re-work this one, with a little less white. I did an auto white balance on it, and I think that might have blown it out, the original wasn't blown out. #3 I think she was actually laughing, rather than the fake smile. I think she had fun, would've been nice if the wind cooperated.

Thanks for all the advice, this is the reason I post on here :)

The first one is my favorite. I find the lighting on that one most pleasing.

She's actually quite terrified in that picture, lol! We were in a barn, and it was dark. I've actually got a halogen light on the other end of it giving a little light. There were half a dozen pigeons flying back and forth over our heads.

Latest threads

Top Bottom