1st shot with my new 300f4 afs

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bfjr, Jul 17, 2005.

1. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Came back from shootin Bolsa this morning (share some of those later :))
    Stopped at the camera show in Carson (did not hold out much hope), but what do I find I new 300f4 AFS, asking $750. Boy you don't have to hit me twice. That baby came home to daddy!! Ran in the backyard and snapped this:

[​IMG]

2. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    great shot.. have fun with the new lens...

Tim

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW DAD..

Looks Great :>))))

Many happy snaps to ya

4. It's a lens that is the first step into the big stuff at a moderate, not cheap, price.
    Enjoy.
    The thing is sooo sharp.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shot Ben. I know that you are going to enjoy that baby. It is probably the best value in a telephoto that Nikon offers, and as you have so skillfully illustrated, capable of wonderfully sharp images.

Congrat's.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great capture, Ben. Love the detail on the feathers and the branch. Congrats on the new lens, hope to see many more great images.

7. Not a bad start at all Ben. The 300/4 AF-S is a great lens and light enough to be easy to carry. I expect we will be seeing more photos from you soon :lol:

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Thanks everyone.
    Happy to see lens is the right direction for my wildlife love :)
    Now on to the next step:

I NEED A TC !! :roll:

man this lens lust will never end will it ???? :roll: :roll: :lol:

9. Congrats on the new baby, Ben! I went cheap(er) on the tc and bought a Tamron 1.4x for use with my 300. No degradation at all!

10. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Congrats, Ben! The 300f4 AFS is a great, reasonably priced lens and you're gonna love using it. The TCs work great with it. BTW, beautiful shot!

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Morning Kevin
    Thanks for the heads up
    I'll check the Tamron out :)

12. Congratulations on your new baby! Looks like you're off to a fine start. Horrendous when these toys call our name and we answer! LOL

13. Nice shot Ben. I just bought a 300mm f4 too.

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Man is it ever fun to shoot. I got some fresh ones from MDR try and post tonight.

15. Ben,

Great shot! Those white branches can be tough to not overexpose.

You were lucky - I've had a 300 f/4 on order for about six weeks - but its finally coming tomorrow or the next day :) :) :). Hope to see lots of posts from you with it. From what I've seen in the way of posts, either the 1.4 or 1.7 TC is a good match. I have the 1.7 TC and it works well on my 70-200VR.

16. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Thanks Dennis
    gonna post some more shortly

17. Great shot, love the detail. What's the band on the bird's leg?

18. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Morning Louis
    I was told that here in SoCal and elsewhere there are programs which catch young birds and band them along with checking them out physically and then rerelease in the wild. This one has decided to take residence in my backyard, probably due to the parrot food I throw out when cleaning my own crews cages every day !! :)

19. Ben, first off, while I have never owned that lens, I have also never heard anything bad, or even mediocre, regarding it. Nothing but glowing reports from everyone I know who has one.

Second off, great shot, and I'm sure they will get much better as you get more used to it.

Keep it up, looking good.....

Perhaps next time we get down to SoCal we can get together. We shot at Bolsa when we there a few weeks ago. The parking lot and boardwalk was supposed to be closed for repairs that week, but we were happy that it wasn't. Do you know when they are supposed to have the rest of the boardwalk back in service? There should be some GREAT shots from the backside of the lagoon.

20. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Afternoon and thank you
    Hey just PM me anytime your heading this way. love to get together and shootem up!! :)
    Doesn't look like the bridge to backside will be ready anytime soon, no prob we can still get over there. Been shootin the coyote family there for awhile :wink: