1st soccer(football) pictures - A little rusty

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mikefitz6, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Here are some of my first soccer pictures for the year. I missed the timing on quite a few shots, no ball in the picture, you know, the little unimportant things. (D200, Nikon 300mm f4.)

Anyway, I will see if I can improve in the next game or two. I better. Most of the parents a buying a disk full of pictures. I have to deliver. (I will not tell how little I am selling pictures for, but it will be decades before I can afford that 300 f2.8)

1. Here is one where the ball would have made this a better shot.

[​IMG]

2. Balancing white uniforms and face detail is still hard for me.

[​IMG]

3. Blew out the highlights on this one.

[​IMG]

4. 5. Clouds overhead made it hard to get the exposure pegged. I used auto WB because I could not keep up with the changes in lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Quite the dance step.

[​IMG]

7. I am pushing the crop too much on this one, but I think the parents will still like it. Hmmm, Maybe I need a 400 f2.8!

[​IMG]

Mike

2. If these are "rusty", can't wait to see your GOOD ones! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I like them. Great shots, and very clear.

3. dlee79

dlee79

Sep 2, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Amazing shots. I love all of them.

4. Thanks Jim and Lee,

When I compare these photos to some of the other pictures I see, they appear to be a little yellow. I do have a calibrated monitor. I can also see that I need to look at a 1.4TC or possibly a 1.7TC. Of course the 200-400 zoom would be nice, but it is just too expensive.

I also did not show the other 1107 photos I took during the game. That is an accurate number. Even for me, that was a bit much. :smile:

Can anybody comment on the color? Maybe I need to tweak the white balance? I have a WB card that I forgot to take this weekend. I will see if that helps on Saturdays game.

Mike

5. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Nice action, and good exposure on the players.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super shots
    You can fix the bit of over exposure in PS:))

I think you have a tad more crop room in the last one if you wanted to

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Color is good.
    A tad over sat perhaps which makes the contrast quite high.
    Personal call on that one.
    Do what sells and what you like:>))

8. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

it looks good .... i looks like we both need to order the 300 2.8 or the 400 !! LOL

9. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Your "rusty" photos are better than my "good" ones.:redface:

Very nice images, good action captures..sharp and clean images.

10. And who says the D200 isn't a sports camera. Very nice shots! I love the facial reactions, you really caught the action at it's peak.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I shoot sports with it. No problem

12. mike,

Nice work, cropped well, great captures. You have a great eye. Don't give give this quality of shots away, parents WILL spend the money for quality photographs!

All my best,

Craig

13. Nice looks liek you shook the rust of rather quickly, a few shots are a little hot but still have nice exposures on the faces where it counts