1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

1st street excursion

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by liftoff, Jul 12, 2008.

1. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Admiring the gritty real life shots I've seen here on the Cafe, I set out this morning with the intention of trying my hand at it. One of the problems I encountered is the lack of activity in downtown Phoenix. Even during the workweek our streets are empty and ghost town like. I brought the nikkor 80-200 & 12-24 and the 80-200 might be a bit big and noticable for this type of deal but the reach is nice!

nikkor 80-200 AF-D
    2661492881_832228fbbc_b.

nikkor 80-200 AF-D
    View attachment 218829

nikkor 12-24
    2661493161_9d8870f8f0_b.

Thanks for inspiring me to get out and try this!

2. Gandalf

Gandalf

Nov 15, 2006
    Arkansas
    Hi Larry,

Nice shots. You might also try converting them to B/W and see what they look like. I've found that street shots sometimes have more mood in B/W.

I know what you mean about lack of activity. I've learned not to chase the photo ops when I'm walking around, but to just let them come to me. Seems like if I try too hard, nothing happens.

3. nicely done
    #2 is my favorite
    street shooting can be great fun

thanks for sharing these with us

4. You did a great job! I really like the one with the old lady walking down the street. It's going to make me homesick, but I'd love to see more of these from Phoenix.

5. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Nice series...........as suggested, I would try seeing what they would look like in black and white, especially the old lady and the tracks. It might make your images more powerful.

6. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks to all for the kind words! I like the suggestions to try black & white, I will keep that in mind on my next outing.

7. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    Larry,

Very nice shots, I really like the r/r tracks, almost looks like Orlando by
    the hospital.

Phil................:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.