1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

1st time out with my new 300 F2.8(versionI)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by carauction, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Gonna take some getting used to, and probably will need a more substantial tripod and head set up(any suggestions appreciated). Can't say enough about my first Nikon 300 F2.8. Hands down in a different league than the Sigma and Tokina versions that I previously tested(IMHO). The contrast, color, sharpness, and 3D effect are quite beautiful.

Definitely will be shooting more than horses with this gem. But for now...........C&C much appreciated. Thank you for looking.

In & out sun...WB tough. All shot with D3.

Mike

Click on image for larger view Please!

_DSC2862.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC2841a.jpg

_DSC2883.jpg

_DSC2864a.jpg

_DSC2876.jpg

_DSC2874a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Your heavy-handed post-processing has ruined what otherwise would have been rather nice images.

3. gilbo

gilbo

Feb 10, 2007
    Texas
    number 3 is my favorite, not the #3 horse but the 3rd picture, it would have been the 1st pic, can really see the eye in the 1st pic of the horse

4. Perhaps you could be a bit constructive.

Mike
    Thank you.

Mike

5. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    I was a little sad when I saw you let your Sigma 150 go. Not anymore. :) 

6. Thanks(I think?)...BTW, I ended up not selling the Siggy.

Mike

7. Absolutely one of the best lense Nikon has ever made. You will get spectacular shots with it. Works well with both Kenko Pro 300 1.4x and 2.0x telextenders. Buy yourself a monopod instead of a tripod initially....it will handle 90% of your needs.

8. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Oh. It is a compliment even tho it wasn't clearly communicated.

I remembered a few of your track shots with the Sig and they were amazing. I thought you had used the proceeds to fund the 300mm. In any case I find your shots remarkable.

Not overdone. :) 

9. mobeious1

mobeious1

Oct 24, 2008
    fl
    wow those are sharp

10. Thanks Harry. I know that you are a pro at this lens.

mike

Thanks much. Appreciate the feedback.

Mike

Thank you,

mike

11. OK.
    Do not over-sharpen your photos, otherwise you will continue to ruin what are otherwise very nice images and completely negate the wonderful image quality that this superb lens can give you.
    There. how's that? Constructive enough for you?

12. I dont see anything wrong with them.....

did you have to come a cross like an**** to the guy? :confused: 

very nice photos to the OP

13. bellasdad

bellasdad

Apr 25, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    TurboV6Camaro, I'm with you...guy came across a bit harsh. To the OP: nice, sharp captures!

14. Fantastic photos..... Wao......

Elliot

15. Thanks Turbo...good luck with your camera sale:smile:

Mike

Thank you.

Thank you

16. You seem to be the only one in the thread that thinks they're oversharpened. I don't see any halos. You like blurry images?

And I agree with the other comment... you didn't need to be an **** about it. Your first post was worthless, since heavyhanded post processing can mean anything at all. Your second post was condescending and arrogant, and uncalled for.

17. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I think they look great to me. Over sharpened? I don't see it. I think the color's and saturation are perfect. Now get out there and take some more.:tongue:

18. the flying dirt rocks...nice work Mike and congrats on the new toy

19. another C&C non pic poster in action:frown:
    i went back to 2008 to view a few of yours and you should spend more time C&Cing your own work:smile:

and this forum is for lusting anyway not for C&C, so either lust or get busy shooting and sharing:biggrin:

20. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Totally Agree with Mike Here! Thats Not How We "Roll" Here at the Cafe!
    Shots are Smokin!!!! Awesome!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.