1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

1st time w/D700 1st time shooting football

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by critterracing, Oct 3, 2008.

1. hey everyone
    just got my new d700 today and tried it at my daughters game. just about every shot is 6400 iso :eek: . man do i love this camera. shot about 200 and had about 70 keepers. just about all were nice and sharp. all i did was crop, resize and sharpen just a tad.

hope ya like them.

aldo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    this was all shot with the 70-200vr?

they all look pretty good as far as i can tell. that's obviously quite a capable camera.

but i gotta ask...your daughter's game?

3. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    just a couple of suggestions, expose for the skin, not the uniforms. Shoot in portrait mode more and rack that thing out to 200mm!

I like the QB shot, maybe you can recover some of his face in post....

Congrats on the D700, I'm jealous!

4. haha ya daughter is a sophomore cheerleader. yes on the 70-200vr.

tim sorry but dont know what you mean by "expose for the skin, not the uniforms". as far as i know there is no portrait mode and all shots are at 200mm.

then again ive only had the camera for a couple of hours. lol

thanks guys

5. SeanMartin

SeanMartin

Sep 24, 2008
    Watkins, CO
    portrait - turn the camera 90 degrees. Verticle shots are refered to as portrait, horizontal are landscape.

expose for the skin means open your aperature or reduce shutter speed in order to get the faces clearly visible. They are kind of dark.

6. very cool. got it and thanks again.

7. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    These look pretty good to me. I have a D700...but I took the D300, because of the crop factor.
    I may take the D700 next week, and try that.

These are nice..and I KNOW how tough HS football is shoot.

8. thanks jeff i appreciate the kind words. the camera was taken out of the box, charged and set to auto iso. thats it.

thanks again for looking.

9. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    You will like the results. Noise performance beats crop factor in low light.

10. what do you mean by crop factor?

11. Crop factor does not apply for this camera since it is full frame. Atleast that is my belief. On some of the older Nikons, you apply a 1.5 or 1.6 factor to the focal length of the lens you used, so a 200mm would actually shoot like a 320mm.

12. awp i just checked some of your previous post and you have nothing good to say about anything. your just one of those people.... NGJO

like i said 1st time with camera and 1st time shooting a football game....

13. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I missed the part that this was your first time shooting football. You're off to a great start.

14. thanks jim im trying.

15. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Good first attempt
    Crop tighter
    Focus looks soft in a few of these
    And what was in camera contrast setting , if it is on turn it off

16. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Aldo...

There are few here who post ONLY to criticize, and not offer any suggestions for improvement. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves.
    Then there people here who are glad to share their knowledge and offer suggestions on how to improve.
    You'll figure out who to ignore, and who to pay attention to.

17. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    Not really. Many people first starting out stop taking pictures when the action gets close or they zoom out when the action gets close, trying to keep the same look and framing when the action takes place far away. Being more selective in keepers and getting in position will overcome the DX factor.

With a 200mm on a full frame, it's a must to stay around the line of scrimmage and stay at full 200mm, even when the action moves to the sideline.

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Andrew, the man never posted his images and bragged that their quality was better than anything being posted here by others. The man is excited to own a quality camera and posted images that he shot at a sporting event that he has no previous experience shooting. He added a comment and critique icon because he obviously hopes to improve. In your estimation, his images are not of the same quality you are accustom to capturing with your gear, but he never mentioned that he was an accomplished sports action photographer or that he was proficient with the new camera body. The man posted his images and was asking for critique.......that's all. I do not think the man is out of line to post his images and ask how to improve. Even someone like yourself with years and years of freelance experience asked for assistance way back when.

19. mbg914

mbg914

Oct 4, 2008
    Maryland
    I want one of those bad. Nice job and at ISO 6400, no less.

mbg

20. DaveT-NJ

DaveT-NJ

Mar 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    Congrats!

Aldo,

Congrats on the D700! Nice job for your first time out with a new camera and a night game, I did much worse and it was a day game :biggrin:

I really like the QB shot (#5) and the sideline shot (#3), enjoy the new camera!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.