2 firsts - remote flash and B&W

Discussion in 'People' started by simonramsden, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Just figured out how to fire the SB-600 remotely using my D-70 in command mode. Not really tried before, but I saw an article on it and figured I should at least give it a go.

Then having taken the picture, before deleting it as I didn't like it, I thought I'd have a go at a B&W conversion. Again, not tried because I've never felt the need.

The end result is my youngest boy, lit from below. Hope you like it, constructive critism is always appreciated.

Taken with a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 set to : 40mm, f/9, 1/60s, spot metering.

Question - how do you get all the exif data into a footer of your photograph ?

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    *Most * of it I like very, very much, the lighting effect is too cool, but I'll add my 2 cents, and I hope you don't mind me having a go at your pic. As you can see, I shrunk the frame removing the distractions behind his head, then pulled the frame up a bit from the bottom too, also removing the bright area there, and finally, removed the bit of light hitting his top just below his chin. I'll get it off my pbase page soon as you've seen it.
    original:
    with my tweaks:
    View attachment 15421

3. Steve

Nice changes. I did think about removing the distration behind him (my wife sitting on the toilet - seat down I hasten to add) but totally missed the highlight on the chin. Too much light from the flash basically. The original is totally blown out, which is why I opted for the B&W conversion.

Next time I'll use my diffuser :smile:

I'll make a similar copy for myself.

Thanks

4. I like this image, the lighting is dramatic and unusual. Steve has made some excellent changes that improves the image even more IMO.

5. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Very impressive work by both of you, thanks for the idea.

6. Very nice capture. I really love how the light illuminates of the face. Nicely done! The edit Steve did is absolutely perfect. It eliminated the unecessary background, which is a cause for distraction.

7. Thanks for the kind comments, lying the flash on the floor looking up was the only option as I had left the supplied stand at work. Steve has a good eye as the cropped version works very well.

He's a photogenic little fella - 6 months old and he wants to touch everything.