2 For CC, walk in the park.

Discussion in 'People' started by goofball, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Attempt at fill flash with onboard. Never used the onboard but didn't have anything else with me. Taken with D70s and Nikon 60mm (almost too sharp even wide open!)

DSC_8704Medium.

View attachment 99264

Critiques? Comments? Any ideas on how to improve the fill? I believe I dialed in around -1.3 or -1.7 flash power.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  2. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    Here is my opinion:

You've got one thing going for you. Beautiful model!

Try to avoid shooting in direct sunlight like it is the plague. In the first photo's background it looks like there is a large shaded area where that cone is. Maybe you could have shot over there.

Which reminds me, Pay close attention to what is in the background. In photo 1 the tire and bed on the left are distracting, as well as the cones.

Anyway, I shoot in the shade with no fill. Works great. And most importantly, she can take her sunglasses off so we can see her lovely eyes.

Good luck.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow, cute, cute model you got there! :eek: Your GF? The fill amt is fine if you ask me. The WB on the 2nd shot seems to be off vs the first. Too yellow. Agree with Samer on watching what's in the background. That tarp and wheel could've easily been eliminated if she were to take a couple more steps forward, or you took a couple to your left. So, how do you even dial back the onboard flash? I've never tried that! :confused:

4. Thanks for the tips! I really never shoot in direct sunlight, I try to avoid it as much as possible but I'm really a photojournalist type of shooter when it comes to people, not so great at getting them to pose just yet. We were in some trees already but not complete shade either.

The first one was not really posed at all, we were walking and I just said "Hey" to her and she flashed a quick smile and snap! Picture taken. I was kinda waiting for a spot with some shade but the path taken didn't really have that much unfortunately.

The second was a bit too much power, this was actually taken before the first shot. She posed for this one and as you can see, I have not really done too much with how she was standing/positioning herself.

I will definitely need to be more cognizant of what is around. Or at least try to clone out distracting objects/crop the picture. Kudos to those who can do these shots with ease!!!

I just held the flash button down and turned the front dial to lower the power.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Flash button??

Now, granted, I'm looking at my D200, but I used to shoot a D70. Where is this flash button and do you mean the front command dial??
    Edit: DOH, nevermind, I found it!

6. Good use of flash to fill the shadow area. I like your shots and of course you model is lovely. There is nothing wrong with shooting in direct sunlight, especially if you position it like you have.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i think u did just fine ...fact, i like these kind of challenges..;-)
    here's one with use of flash and centerweighted metering,,the sun made for a dandy hair-light ...;-))
    227954026_1397d788d1_o.

8. Thanks Gordon and nute. I am glad you liked them.

Thanks for all the comments and tips thus far. I'm open to any and all comments, anything that would help me improve the shots.