2 from the S5 today

Discussion in 'People' started by cwilt, Jul 3, 2007.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Playing with off camera flash...

[​IMG]

and ISO 1250....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  2. Wow! Very nice color, and clarity, and sharpness, and... Wow!

I do have a few questions as they relate to your S5 experience, Charles. What was the exposure on the ISO 1250 image? Can you take some high ISO low-light shots (eg around 1/30s f/2.8)? Are those processed with ACR 4.1? Thanks!

3. Your photos from the S5 are quite sharp which is something I have been disappointed with in the previous shots from the S5 I've seen... as they looked pretty soft and a little flat.

Is this all in post or in camera?

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The exposure was 1/60 at f4. 1/30th is to slow for a small child, unless their sleeping.:wink:

These were processed with RPP. I also tried them with Finepix Studio but preferred the output I can achieve with RPP.

Thanks! Its no D2x but I'm am more than pleased with it at this point.

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I shoot RAW and do all sharpening in CS2.

6. The first image dosent really do it for me, the harsh catchlight is popping out a little to much.

Second shot work alot better for me.

What an adorable little girl beuatiful eyes! Hard to judge the high iso performance on such a small image, but it looks good imo.

RPP is it only for your s5 you prefer it ? or do you process you d2x files with it aswell ?

I tried it and it was quite slow, to change things really takes time.

7. Her skin... and those freckles (!)... on the first one are incredible. Very nicely done.

8. Thanks, Charles. Well... any (other) subject would do, but 1/60 at f4 ISO1250 is already relatively low light... :wink:

I see. I haven't heard about or tried RPP, but it seems to be doing a good job... and so do you! :smile:

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I can respect that. This was a test to see how the S5 dealt with CLS and off camera flashes. Exposure and color looked good to me.

While I think the noise levels were good for this situation, I was looking more at the dynamic range it had at the higher ISO. I love my D2x but it suffers, not from noise, but from loss of dynamic range at high ISO.

I use RPP for quick conversions for both bodies. Speed is not what I am after. When the image is special I slow down and use RML. It sses floating point math which makes it slow but it also means it finds details the others don't. To each his own.:smile:

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I will try for some indoor lighting situations. :wink:

Raw Photo Processor

12. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    The iso 1250 shot is impressive......and gorgeous.

Good stuff!

13. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Face of an Doll - Absolutely beautiful.

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Stuart. Still learning.

I really prefer those candid type shots of children. Seems to capture them better.

15. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Your shots have proven what the S5 is for. :cool::smile:

16. Impressive test results from the S5. Two images that can definately be pirnted.

I love the eyebrows in the first. SHARP!!!

17. Charles, these are amazing...stop posting these kinds of pictures immediately...I love my D200, I love my D200....do not need a new body, do not need a new body...

18. very pleasing results Charles

19. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool:J_B_L
    I've been PM ing Charles concerning the S-5 and mentioned that I finally got to handle one when I was in Atlanta. This was after using a D-200 for a couple of days. I found that most of the controls and placement on the S-5 were indentical to the D-200. Probably the only difference in the 2 cameras is the "chip". I personally prefer the Fuji chip. I understand that the S-5 is actually the D-100 platform. Sooo!! your D-200 is essentially the S-5.
    Just my thoughts, www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

20. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    So..... I shouldn't post anymore S5 images??? :Devil:

OK.....:biggrin:

I won't post this one.....:tongue:

S5 + 45P
    [​IMG]