2 Girls and a D2X

Discussion in 'People' started by AndyE, May 17, 2005.

1. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Notice: This thread was started last week in the D2X forum. I have now some more pictures from this session available. I believe it should be rather here in the people forum.
    https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=3631

Last week we celebrated mother's day and my daughter(11) and her friend(14) asked me for my D2X with an empty CF card.
    The two girls enjoyed the afternoon until the CF card was full.
    I was amazed what they "produced". It really helps to start early. See below 3 pictures taken by my 11 year old girl.

regards,
    Andy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Andy, get these girls under contract. Are you sure you are not pulling our leg just a little? These are studio shots with perfect use of fill flash keeping the background dark. First time with the D2X, perfect poses, great B&W conversion with just the right amount of sharpening, no extraneous shadows on their face, etc? I think not. How long has your daughter been assisting you with your studio work? Fess up man. :roll: :roll:

By the way, the cropping and/or composition on these shots is very professional. The chances of an untrained 11 year old doing that is somewhere between slim and none. :shock: :shock:

3. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    I'm not sure I believe you??? Sounds like the jokes on us. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!!! If indeed these were taken by who you say then they need to stay on it as they are very talented and are a natural for composition and lighting.

these are Very beautiful. I love the side lighting and black and white regardless who took them. adds a touch of mystery. Sort of the Lauren Bacall and Ingrid Bergman look of the early black and white films.

When are these "KIDS" going to start posting under their own names?

They could make enough money to buy their own Nikon just by doing custom school pictures on the side. But then you'd be out the "X"

let's see some more...from whoever?

4. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Gordon,
    hope you believe me that this is not made up. I did some pictures with friends and family earlier this day. Out of complete crazyness I have a Profoto studioflash, which was still set up. BTW, the positioning of the lights was done based on my learning from a member of the Nikoncafe :D :D :D The girls used that setup and did many,many pictures. My daugther has experience with a D70 and she is indeed very interested in understanding photography. Slight cropping, conversion to BW and posting to the web was done by me.

Some pictures from my session before. I'll send you the contact sheets from the girls via PM, don't want to post them publicly.

Kind regards,
    Andy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Greg,
    I have no intent to fool you. Please see my response to Gordon for further information. I learned this beautiful light setup here in the nikoncafe. Sorry forgot, who it was :(

If you are interested, I can send you via PM the contactsheets from the girls as well.

Kind regards,
    Andy

6. Hi Andy, I did not doubt that the girls took the images but was skeptical about the lighting, which is quite professional and well done. You have cleared that up. I did look through their entire contact sheet and they did amazingly well with poses and composition. Your post processing work was well done but again, the girls gave you some excellent stuff to work with. Your original post could be a little misleading by giving the impression that they picked up the D2X (for the first time) and went out to shoot pictures. You are obviously a talented man and your lighting setup is super.

Congratulations to your daughter and her friend. Keep their hand in photography and they will go far with their talent. By the way your images are very well done and that dog is striking to say the least. The young lady is pretty cute as well. The last two, I can't take my eyes off the dog. What a beautiful animal.

7. Impressive photography!! :D :D :D

8. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Andy, Understood! these are good also. The dog steals the show in the last one. Good contrast control between the light skin and dark fur. I think portraits done with favorite pets make wonderful shots and keepsakes.

Yes, please pm me details on the lighting.

9. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Greg,
    in the meantime I found the light setup. It was posted on april 1st by jarrell. See the setup down in the discussion thread https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=1840

One more from the dog. He is now about a year old.
    large.

Kind regards,
    Andy

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Andy,

Beautiful pictures! The lighting is awesome and the results are great. Shame on me I have not done these kinds of photos.

One day! :oops:

11. I love the very first frame. Excellent use of the fabric. I have a soft spot for the pooch as well. Very nice lighting.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Goes to show, the chip doesn't fall far from the block

Congrats to your daughter, her friend, and your expert tutelage! Your shots are awesome too. Love your Shepherd!