2 in flight - Egret and GBH

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, May 8, 2005.

1. Both of these were taken at the park by my house a few weeks back. There's a little inlet area that allows you to get pretty close if you're lucky enough to find a bird in there. Both taken @ 200mm, Egret @ f4, GBH @ f5.6. These are the 1st times I ever got these birds in flight. I was pretty excited. Comments welcome..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shots Kevin.

Not easy to get flying birsds. Don't know how all you guys do it.

Guess in my "mature" years I am a tad slow.

3. Kevin
    Both are excellent great color very sharp and well composed you should be tickled pink

4. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots Kevin! It's hard to get good in focus flight shots -- good job!

5. Excellent captures! well done

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Kevin,

Congrats on your first BIFs. Thats always very exciting. Both shots are keepers.

7. I would be excited too, nicely done Kevin.........you can send some of those birds down west, wont hurt my feelings. ;-)

8. PicMan

PicMan Guest

Good couple of pics. Im am well jelous. I tried to take a pic of a Heron as it flew overhead at an RSPB site here in the UK and all I got was a pic of his feet, the rest was out of frame!!

9. Thanks all for the nice comments. You all can take credit since it's because of your discussions of bird photography over at dpr that I've read over the last year. I've tried to soak up and apply what was discussed. I've still got a long way to go but I'll take the good ones when I can get lucky.

10. Nice shots!! The GBH is a super shot!! :D :D :D

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice captures Kevin. Watch out though. It can be addictive, and lead to the acquisition of very expensive cameras and glass. 8)

12. Tell me about it. Of course I'm trying to exercise restraint but want the biggest fastest lens I can get. Question for you...for Merritt Island, do you think 300 (& maybe a 1.4x) will be long enough?

13. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    very nice indeed. Exposures look bang on.

14. Thanks, Greg. I noticed a bit of blow out on its back but was happy in general with how it turned out. The camera was kinda tricky to use. For a white bird I'd have to spot meter on the body then dial an exposure compensation of -1 to -1.5 to get it right. Otherwise the whole thing would be blown. (And I've got the pics to prove it! :cry: ) But all that is gone now since I won't be getting that body.

15. Sharp and great color Kevin. Wait till Merritt, you'll have hundreds. Frank is the master of flight shots. We're all really not worthy to be in his presence when it comes to flight shots. :)

16. Nice work Kevin. I know these shots aren't always so easy. My only attempt at a GBH in flight came out a bit blurry - didn't quite get the focus right. You should be pleased.

17. Thanks, Dennis. I got a few of these guys in focus. The problem with the Egret was a few of the others were blown out. I think I was just so excited to be that close and shooting that I messed it up. Oh well, there will be more chances, I'm sure.

Thanks for commenting.

18. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    All RIGHT!!!! Nice! The angle on that GBH is awesome.

Thanks for sharing. Now, capture some more just like that so we can all get our fix.

Thanks again.