2 last shots are all I have

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Throwing my hands up in frustration, this will probably be the last 2 shots I post out of the over 400 frames I shot last Sun. If you could see the unbelievable garbage I've been wading through all day, you'd see why I think there are so many worthless shots that aren't worthy of editing. I really want to work with a seasoned model for a change! :cry: Sorry for the venting, but no more shooting total greenhorn non-models just for the sake of having something to shoot. Such a complete waste of time and energy. I need someone more seasoned to help me improve.
    OK, now I have to go delete 435 p.o.s. horrible snapshots. I really should show just one of these horrible shots, just so you all could see for yourselves.
    This one has blown highlights, backlit, shot into the mid-morning sun. All my fault. A diffusion panel would'a come in real handy here.
    original.
    This one is just ok I guess, since I cropped the devil out of it.
    original.

2. Steve,

You've got some good stuff in your on-line portfolios so don't be discouraged. I work with a lot of amateurs so allow me two suggestions.

1. Get a professional make up artist who can do hair too. You'll be stunned at the difference. Department store make-up counters are good places to look, or a school nearby that teaches make-up.

2. Learn how to do skin in PhotoShop.

Woody

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Second one is pretty good IMHO. If you have to work with "newbies" who don't know a lot about posing etc maybe bring some tear sheets for posing ideas, I'm sure you can find lots of posing ideas in magazines. Somebody linked to this page in another forum, seemed to really like the posing cards: http://www.posecards.com/posecards.htm

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good preparation is the key, isn't it?

For the next try, I hope to be much more prepared, both from a hair/skin standpoint, but also with better poses to work off of, and practice models that take this more seriously. Thanks for commenting.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Jeff,

I did bring several contact sheets with prints I copied off the web, but they either didn't work for reasons of different outfits, or weren't age appropriate. I even have a ring bound book of 1000 simple B&W poses, but didn't have it with me. Will next time. Thanks for your comments.