2 new lenses from Sigma

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by randyr5, Jun 28, 2007.

1. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  2. *yawn* atleast put OS on the 55-200...

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Very interesting, seems Sigma is now starting to put HSM on most of its new lenses. Regarding OS, I remember reading Sigma had problems putting OS and HSM on the same lens.

4. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    If the price point for the 55-200 is below the Nikon...then I suspect the floodgates will start opening. More options is never a bad thing...

Wonder what the sales figures are for the 40/40x.

5. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    i was hoping sigma would release a HSM prime (maybe 50mm 1.8) and smaller than 30/1.4 in term of size so it matches up better with D40.

6. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

50mm f5.6 - hmmmmm

7. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    How crazy is that? Wonder if they will sell any of those.

8. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I don't really see the point to either of these. I think they'd make a killing if they made a comparable 50/1.8 with HSM (similar price to the nikon, if not cheaper), and other budget items that can't AF on the D40.

9. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    it's not that crazy; 18-50mm is roughly equivalent to a 28-75mm lens on a 35mm camera. there are lots of 28~80mm that are f/5.6 at the long end. nikon's 18-55mm kit lens is f/5.6 at the long end.

ricky

10. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The 50mm lens is redundant now with the DX crop, I highly doubt they'd revise their 30mm f/1.4 so soon after making it.

If the Sigma 18-50 is optically as good as the Nikon 18-55DX kit and cost less, then theres no reason why it shouldn't sell. I expect to see that Sigma on a lot of "discount" D40 kits.

11. I don't see a big enough market for Sigma primes which go head to head against Nikkor. Actually making two zooms which cover 18-200 mm seems like a potentially lucrative marketing scheme for Sigma. I could see them doing well against the 18-200.

Rich

12. plim

plim Guest

but the 18-55mm dx ii is like $100 (if that), and the 55-200 sans vr is 170. that means this combination would have to be *less* than $250 for someone to even consider it. unless they're giving them away at $200 - combined (or less), i don't see why anyone would buy the sigma over the nikon. while cheaper is better, when the nikon alternatives are so cheap, i don't think people will go third party.

not sure this was one of sigma's better ideas (unless they really are giving them away)...

13. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Sigma have been selling their cheapo non-HSM kit lenses for a while now, there must be a profit in them.

14. Sigma's low-end 18-50 sells for around $100. Clearly they are selling, because I see them in the field (and on both Nikon and Canon bodies). Since it is a given that they are selling, the replacement of the existing models with HSM versions probably does several things for Sigma:
    • Makes them compatible with the D40 and D40x, and one presumes with more and more future low-end Nikon DSLRs.
    • Probably lowers their BOM cost (bill of materials), since almost everyone is now moving to in-motor lenses. Likely the HSM mechanism will be shared with Canon, Sigma, Sony and Pentax versions of the same lens. I think Olympus is going this way too but don't know. If so (as I presume), leaving the Nikon models with screwdriver would be bad parts and volume management.
    • Increases their volume on HSM lenses overall. Even if this low-end HSM is like Nikon's low-end AFS and does not share all of the components, it will surely share many. Even if there is NO additional margin to Sigma for having these in HSM form, it likely reduces their overall cost for HSM components by increasing their overall HSM volume. That would allow greater margins on all of the rest of the HSM lenses - and there are a lot of those.
    So not only do D40/40x users benefit by having a choice in this segment, but probably all other Sigma HSM users benefit through greater volume and a healthier independent competitor.

15. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    What is even more amazing, is that the cheap 18-50 DC is actually rather good!

16. eisbaer

eisbaer Guest

I wonder who would want to buy a sigma 18-55. Not me. Maybe stores may find it interesting selling it as a kitlens but I think that's the only way to get rid of them. The market is flooded with seldom used second hand nikkor 18-55 lenses doing 50 euro max.

17. batangueno

batangueno

May 10, 2007
    Philippines
    What is sigma thinking.... we D40 users want a prime HSM. :biggrin:

18. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I think most D40 users don't want prime lenses at all, and will be happy with the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses (both of which are very good).

But there is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, the only 30mm Nikon fit AF-S prime.

19. batangueno

batangueno

May 10, 2007
    Philippines
    I already have that and I love it. It's the lens always attached to my d40 now that's why i want another one. Something more suited for portraits. :smile:

20. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8? You don't have to have primes you know!