2 questions - lighting hair, pricing

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Davo, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Hi all,

Amaaaaazing, a section about pro photography, light, and studio equipment...just what I was looking for. Anyway, without further ado:

The last time I had my hair cut we got to talking about me majoring in photography, and my stylist said she wanted to have some photography done so she could put together a book of styles she does.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is there anything particular to keep in mind about lighting when shooting hair styles? I mean, outside of a fairly standard setup with a hair light? Like, any specific thing that needs to be paid attention to, or particular setup that is especially good?

2) I'm not asking what to charge, but rather, how to charge. Since it's not the models having shots done for themselves, it's the stylist commissioning a series of shots for her own uses, how would I go about figuring out how to charge? Would it be a per model thing? Charge for a day of "commercial" work? And what about printing (a print shop would be pricey without a bulk order. would it be best to buy a printer and do the printing myself?)

Thanks a million everyone.

David

2. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Hello,

Smarter people than me will help you here.

For printing I Can say, if you are starting from scratch that printing on your own is a pretty involved process. Think calibrated monitor, color managed workflow, profiles for your paper and inks, yada yada, and lots of problems and scrap prints along the way.

Something like mpix.com can print small quantities at reasonable prices, I use them for client work (say $10-20 in prints form a portrait package)

3. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    David,

A couple of things to keep in mind, first as her exactly what she is looking for? I have done images for stylists books before some have been head and shoulders shots some have been more fashion oriented. Some have been a mix. depends on what she wants this for. Second as for price, I would charge her for a full or half day of shooting depending on how many looks she is looking for. Prints, mpix, whcc.com are a couple of good labs, I use whcc and pay 2.00/8x10.

Dan

4. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    thank you both so much! :D

i'll definitely have a talk with her and see what she wants.

and i'll definitley have a look at those printing services.