1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

2 samples with sigs new 150-500

Discussion in 'Birds' started by kevin pyle, Sep 11, 2008.

1. My buddy Mike's wife just got him a sig 150-500 today for his b'day. He brought it by for me to test out the sharpness and make sure everything works. Pretty impressive image quality. These were shot jpegs, (accidentally)
    I always shoot raw but yesterday was printing directly from cam. So here are two samples on D3. Thanks for viewing, great lens for the price. Both shots are on the 500mm end of the lens and open all the way.
    Kevin P.
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

2. That second shot is very cute. Well done!

3. That's alot of reach and nice bokeh.
    Fred

4. Thanks for the test shots Kevin - if you need it - you know where it is at. Mike & Mary Beth.

5. nice shots Kevin, interesting lens.

6. Ray,
    I was pleased with the results as well, I shot it on the long end wide open checking for image degradation and oof area, but it performed beautifully. Of course the proof is always in the image. A lens like this really helps open the doors for a whole lot of folks
    wanting to expand their creativity and abilities. When are you coming down to south Louisiana? I know I know, let our hurricane season be done with!
    Kevin P.

7. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I bought one from Amazon the other week but had to send it back due to back and front focus issues at either end of the focal range. A pity since when it did focus properly is was very sharp wide open and extremely sharp 1 stop down.

I don't know if I was a victim of Sigma's QA lottery or if the lens was bounced around during transit in Amazon's grossly under padded shipping box.
    _D7B5902.jpg

The lens' only padding within the factory box is its nylon case with a piece of neoprene foam at either end. I did complain to Amazon and sent them a link to this pic. I also told them that reputable camera vendors like B&H and Adorama would have shipped the lens in an over sized box filled with foam peanuts.

8. Looks good Kevin. Might be a good alternative to the 500 VR which I'm told are not in stock. Argh!

9. Mao, Bill,
    Bill, I had a similar issue with the Nikon 24-70 2.8, first copy bad problem of front focusing, it went back, second copy of Nikon 24-70 2.8, sharp as it gets. The utility within the D3 wouldn't correct enough to fix the first 24-70 2.8. Good luck, also lensrentals.com has this lens for rent.

For the still shots I shot samples of, and in comparison to the 50-500 I had once rented,
    this lens rocks. Maybe Mike will let me try it out on flying birds. I know the D3 has high iso to help compensate but I still try and use lowest iso possible. Its a very impressive lens and opens the doors for alot of folks who love photography and would love to have more reach! I'm pretty pumped up about it.
    Kevin P.

10. post

These are very nice images. Have you been able to use in combination with a 1.4tc and can you still AF or would you have to tape down a pin?
    Reason I ask is I have recently upgraded to D3 and my longest lens is the 80-400VR. But 400 = 400mm on the D3 so want a little more reach.

11. Hal,
    its not my lense but Mike did talk about getting the 1.4tc with it. If he does I'll let you know how well it works. I'd definately say its focus mechanism is fairly fast on the D3.
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Kevin P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.