2 variations of an IR shot from yesterday

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Benoit G., Sep 13, 2005.

1. Went out yesterday and I got away with this shot which I'm quite proud of. WB has been done on a patch of grass. I have the original out of the camera and the Red/Blue channels shift one. I still don't know which version I like the most, so I'm interested in you choice.

Also, all comments are welcome.
    Regards.
    Ben

Original out of the camera :
    [​IMG]

Red/Blue channels shift :
    [​IMG]

2. Tough choice Benoit .....two completely differernt moods that these evoke...First one I can see myself trekking through the woods on a nice fall day ...Whereas the second I want to bring out my fly rod for some "specs" on a sunny day in the spring/summer
    My choice..if I had to make one would be the first one....love the fall!

Bohdan

3. I'm using a D2H with an 89B and try WB on green grass as well. I believe the 89B is equivalent to R72, but so far I am not getting these colors. Do you use NC or ACR for anything specific? What exactly are you doing in PS? Well, if you don't mind my asking about your workflow. Also are you sharpening these? I'm very pleased with my b/w conversions, but haven't yet found how to locate these type of colors! Great images you have.

4. I really like the 'cooler' mood per se you emulated in the second photograph. I'm a fan of the color blue, so I guess that's why I prefer and like it over your first photograph. Needless to say, they are both suberb photos, Benoit!

5. Bohdan, thanks for your comments, they are always appreciated.
    Ben

6. Hi,
    First thank you for your comments.

As far as the workflow, the first thing is that you must make sure that you do the preset white balance with the filter ON the lens. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.

I always use NC for RAW conversion. The only thing I did in the first one is to get the contrast back to Normal because I always shoot in Low contrast.

For the second one, here is what I've done in order :
    1. Convert the RAW with NC. Get the contrast back to Normal and save as TIFF 8 bits.
    All the rest is done in PSCS2 in that order :
    2. Auto Levels
    3. Channel Mixer RED channel : RED 0, Blue 100
    4. Channel Mixer Blue Channel : RED 100, Blue 0, constant 5%
    5. Hue / Saturation : Magenta Saturation -100, Red saturation -100
    For the steps 3-4-5, you can try different variations, sky's the limit.
    6. Resize for web at 900 pixels height or width
    7. Sharpen if necessary

Both versions have been sharpened slightly about USM 60 in PSCS2

If you have any question, do not hesitate to ask.
    Benoit

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2005

7. Nick, thanks for the comments.
    Ben

8. I'm a fan of the first one. It just seems so "other worldly" to me.

9. The image itself is really nice. I like the 2nd one the best but would probably tone down the blue just a tad.

10. Gordon and Greg

Thanks for your comments.
    Ben

11. I think I like the first one better, because it gives the trees more contrast, especially against the sky.

12. I did finally get these colors, mostly as a result of WB. I have played with channel mixer swapping red and blue, but I can't always find the exact balance between the 2 colors that I look for. Also, I'm unsure what the "constant" variable is for. I'll have to look that one up. Have you ever tried compositing the same shot between visible and IR? Or masking just the IR foliage alone into the same visible light scene? I'm trying to experiment with this now, because I think that is where I'll find the right color balances I look for. The only way I can seem to get a nice white glow out of the foliage is by fully swapping the red/blue channels, but it effects everything else as well. Of course I could mask the rest, but then it would remain red or copper tinted. So composites are my next level of experiment.

13. I like them both but I opt for two, I like the cold look.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like both.
    Each have a different mood.
    Both are beautiful.

No choice here....Both

15. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'll go with the second one, I like the cooler look for scenes with water in them. In the first, the golden water doesn't seem to go with the feel of the rest of the photo. For a conventional photo with fall foliage, it would work.
    Hmmmm, gets me thinking (dangerous area, do not enter! :biggrin: ) What about taking an IR shot, then a regular one from the same set-up. Layer them and erase certain parts to combine some IR with normal color. Kinda like your first shot in IR, but with fall foliage in the background?

16. Thanks.

17. I found the constant in blue channel to change the output of blue color to my taste but it's not an obligation to fo it.

Looking forward to see the results of your experiments.

18. Gilles, thanks for your input.
    Ben

19. Thanks Gale.

20. Good idea, never thought about that. I will try it for sure in the next weeks.
    Thanks for the comments and input.
    Ben