$20, a wing and a prayer

Discussion in 'People' started by Thos Quinn, Aug 29, 2005.

1. “Get rid of my terrible acne and make it unusual” were the instructions from this client (my stepdaughter) for her high school graduation picture. So with 20-some dollars worth of cheap clamp-on incandescent lighting fixtures, light bulbs and a white painter’s drop cloth; presetting the white balance for the "funky" light setup, mimicing poses I've seen in magazines etc., digging up an old butterfly image from my library, lots of PS work and praying it came out at least OK… this was my first and only attempt at a “formal” portrait shoot. I don’t know if I’m cut out for this kind of thing :confused: One day I may get real lights and give it a real try. But what the hey, for $20, a wing (butterfly wings actually) and a prayer; what do you want, professional results?

original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Butterflys

I would have to bet she loves it.....

Very beautiful Girl and image.

Good job..

You should be quite proud of this work.

3. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thos,

I really like the idea for the image. It definately makes more of a statement than the standard boring senior/graduation portraits.

I am not sure if it is the jpg. compression (the more I look the more I think it is) or not but some of the image looks really blurry/out of focus, especially around her nose.

Joe

4. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I like it, nice job

5. I like it a lot also.

Any chance of posting the original (unretouched) version? I'm always interested in comparing the differences.

Best wishes,

David

6. I would but then Jasmine (the model) would have to kill me :Guns:
    Seriously, I'll look into it when I get a free moment (I'm having house guests fora week and a half. Thanks for looking!

7. David;
    I don’t have the original of the graduation shot downloaded to pbase but you may be interested in this before/after I did of Jasmine a while back with my CP5700 (before she got her braces off :mad: ). She asked for a quick picture as she was dashing off to adance, I had only the onboard flash and I have gained a lot more PS skills since then. But seein’ as you like “comparing the differences”; here ya go:

original.

View attachment 14660

8. Like your result. Like also is said it looks bit soft round the nose and oversharpened at the piercing. But that are just 2 little minors so 98% of the photo is great. We have no seniors shots in Netherlands i like the idea in America about these kind of shots. I think every parent/family is happy to see a photo of there children in a year book or on the wall.

Would it not be fun like is said earlier. That you upload the original and some of us try to retouch her photo in the best way we can. And upload the web version to this thread. And the original sized edit to you. And look if we all can help you out and learn all from each others post processing and retouching skills.

I would love to edit and retouch your photo. And i will explain all steps i made what i did with the photo and what i used?

If you like the idea let me know?

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

9. WOW......cool effects!!

10. Hi Thos,

Thanks.

Interesting cut-out of the background! Obviously a pose "on the run". :smile:

I'd still be eager to see the "before" of the senior shot if you get it uploaded to pbase.

Thanks again,

David