200-400 VR Shots --Please!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Gunnerisac, Apr 18, 2007.

1. OK --JoeC shipped out his/now my 200-400VR yesterday and it should be here by the week-end.

Doug got the 300 2.8 VR and I the 200-400VR. poor Joe -- stuck with his 400 f2.8.

Anyway, while I am waiting , show me your best 200-400mm shots. Janet's bird show from last summer was a start -- let's see a few more to get my lust to an ever higher pitch.

PaulC

2. Oh ok if you insist...

_RP02204.

_RP02230.

_RP00322.

_RP12491.

_D2N8657_bald_eagle.

This one was taken through my (closed) living room window...

_RP00525.

And a landscape, sunset vs pollution..!

_RP00373.

3. Here's a few

original.

original.

original.

Don

4. Congrats on the 200-400, Paul! You're going to love it.

5. Sweet shots, lets see some more!

PaulC

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Congrats, Paul!!!

PM me if you want to join us at the Cincinnati Zoo - Tulip Mania is in full swing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I recently got one myself. Everything they say is true! Here is one of my first shots, handheld:

[​IMG]

8. Nice shots John -- I'm getting very anxious!

PM'd -- Can't make it Out also.

PaulC

PaulC

9. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
  10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Paul :

200-400mm shots ? Sure. Here are several handheld shots, all "in the wild", not posed...

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

That help ? :wink:

John P.

11. Here's me shooting with my 200-400! :wink:

photo_about1.

12. oooo I'll go in for a bit of that too...

Here is me shooting with my 200-400 (and the picture was taken with another 200-400 too) :D

me-1.

You can also see I've had the bag modified by a friend, it can now be worn like a peroper rucksack, makes it SO much better for carrying around!

13. yifeng

yifeng

Jan 23, 2007
    IL
    Great idea modifying the bag! Looks very nice and comfortable.

14. rooster32

rooster32

Nov 8, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    Great pics! I am trying to decide between the 300 F2.8 VR and the 200-400 VR. The ONLY reason I am waffling between the two is the dusk/dawn time period that the 300 would be a bit better at. I already have a TC1.7 that I use on my 70-200 for the 300...but that zoom sure is handy (plus I have never shot a prime)

Give me some feedback in regards to lower light shooting with the 200-400 for wildlife...help me decide:eek: Other then critters, I will be shooting my kids playing sports.

Thanks!

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Paul :

Why worry about "best shots" ? Here's one from tonight about five minutes walk from my hotel in west Texas, using the 200-400mm with a TC17EII, wide-open aperture, handheld, no crop, no fancy PP, just a quick shot.

[​IMG]

Get that appetite whetted for shooting with the 200-400mm and think AAA : Anytime, Anywhere, Anyway... :wink:

John P.

16. Andy, John

You guys are really setting the bar high! Nice stuff!

PaulC

17. It is truly a horrid lens, I have absolutely no clue why you would ever want one. Heavy, expensive, and obviously you can't get a decent shot no matter what you do. I mean, look at this one from my wife, off a beanbag out our car window.

[​IMG]

And, look, I sure can't do any better, full-frame, handheld, from last Sunday.

[​IMG]

Or even this one.

[​IMG]

If you are smart, you will just send it over to me for disposal, well before the darned thing has a chance to disappoint you ..... :wink:

18. Do you have a %100 crop of that I could see? I've never really managed anything too sharp with TC's on this lens. Although its hard to tell at websize this shot looks much sharper than anything I've got. Could you crop out a section at %100 that has the eye and where the beak meets the feathers?

Cheers :)

19. Richard,

What's that Gimbal-style head you are using on that tripod?

20. Hi Bill

The first shot is priceless! A few years ago, some nesting burrowing owls occupied a nic ebldg lot next to my parents place in FL. The US Wildlife put up yellow tape declaring the endangered species and the poor bugger who owned the lot had to wait two more years before bldg on it, when by some quirk the moved.

The osprey shot os spectacular!

Good use of a major weapon!

PaulC